Not sure what this noise is?????????? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure what this noise is??????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what this noise is??????????

I currently have a 98 firebird 3.8 that's begining to make a light ticking noise at acceleration I don't know exactly where it is but it sounds as if it's coming from the alternator but I'm not sure and the car doesn't make that noise right away mainly in colder weather does anyone know what that is or expireneced it and know how much it would cost to fix?

Also my a/c compressor just went out but I bypassed it for now could that have anything to do with it?

Re: Not sure what this noise is??????????

check your pulleys. pour water on them one by one and see if it goes away.

Comment

Can you reproduce the ticking noise by just revving the engine, or does the car actually have to be moving? If you can rev the engine to get the ticking noise, use a length of hose as a stethoscope and listen around to isolate where it's coming from.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
        Can you reproduce the ticking noise by just revving the engine, or does the car actually have to be moving? If you can rev the engine to get the ticking noise, use a length of hose as a stethoscope and listen around to isolate where it's coming from.

It only makes the noise when I'm driving not on exceleration but I can swear it sounds as if it's coming from the alternator ? Is that a common sound for a bad alternator ?

Comment

your alternator spins whether your car is moving or not.
          Take your belt off and run the car and slowly rev. tell us if the noise goes away or not.

Comment

you cant take off the belt and run the car.
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

you can start and run your car w/out the belt, but for a short time. without a belt, the car is running off of the battery. i only know this because i threw a belt on a car some years back and didn't know it, i got home and started it up, and it died on me a few minutes later.

Comment

I've taken my belt off to find noises all the time , I wouldn't drive it for extend amount of time or let it run for 15 minutes but you can take it off to see if the sound goes away and see if the balancer is not shaking around making the noise. Thats how I found my really bad ticking noise before when my balancer had dy rotted from the inside out. Yours sounds like a bad pulley somewhere.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X