V6 vs RS stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 vs RS stock

Well today I got me thinking I needed a new Intake Manifold and a new cam.

I Was wondering what the difference between the RS and the regular V6. Does the RS have different cam or intake .Why does it have 25 more HP?..

Also I wanted to ask eveyone , What is the Biggest cam I can put on my Stock V6 heads Without needing to upgrade my Valvesprings?

Thanks a lot for your help ..

PS. having SS posi differential makes the Biggest difference in acceleration I have seen .

What makes you think the RS has 25 more HP?
    And for your cam question, TONS of topics have started and stopped on that subject...hit the search button and type in cams or cams with stock heads etc...
    Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Yeah...get your information right, please.
      AND do a search. I'll let this one go...but only if by 3PM today you have some REAL info in this topic!! ;)

really though. The RS only had i think 5 or 10hp more if it was an SLP RS.
      2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

HELP

Comment

I thought the RS option only included ground effects, spoiler type stuff and maybe the y87 package?

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
            I thought the RS option only included ground effects, spoiler type stuff and maybe the y87 package?
            that's what i thought...
            1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

1) RS has no more power than a regular V6.
              2) Posi makes no difference in acceleration over a standard open diff.
              3) If you're not 100% sure about what you're getting into, don't bother getting a new cam.
              4) Do a search in advanced tech for cams. You'll get enough info to keep you reading for days.

[ July 21, 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Really ..I thought posi aka limited-slip improved acceleration (or acceleration from a standing start to be more exact) over an open-diffy?

Comment

In a straight line, assuming there's no wheel spin, there shouldn't be any difference in acceleration. It's the same gear ratio, so why would it accelerate any differently?
                  Matt
                  Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

"assuming there's no wheelspin"

That's the kicker. You can apply more torque to the wheels without getting wheelspin with a LSD. i.e. more power to the wheels before they break loose.

-Brian

Comment

2001 + SLP RS's boast +5 hp for having the dual exhaust. The rest of the modifications deal with suspension.
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_D:

That's the kicker. You can apply more torque to the wheels without getting wheelspin with a LSD. i.e. more power to the wheels before they break loose.

-Brian
                        I see..So in the same conditions and cars, you can launch at a higher rpm with traction with lsd than an open differential. Better 60 foot times I suppose. :D

Comment

Originally posted by sac2165:
                          2001 + SLP RS's boast +5 hp for having the dual exhaust. The rest of the modifications deal with suspension.
                          I wonder what that exhaust sounds like...

Comment

Originally posted by camaroincal:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian_D:

-Brian
                            I see..So in the same conditions and cars, you can launch at a higher rpm with traction with lsd than an open differential. Better 60 foot times I suppose. :D </font>[/QUOTE]If you currently have traction problems, then an LSD will definetly help. It will not, however, improve acceleration. You're putting the same power to the ground, so you will accelerate at the same rate. But by launching higher, you can cut some time from your 60'.
                            Matt

Comment

. Well I used to have drums on the back of my car a year ago. I went to junk yard and swaped it with a Posi from a 97 Camaro SS and it fit perfectly.

Now the acceleration on all gears is noted big time, its not because its posi its because it has different ratios. 3.42, that makes crusing RPm increase 500+ .If you have the 3.23 and swap to a 3.42 youll notice big time difference.When I did it to my car I was getting 1/4 14.4 with my 5 speed. Now I just need the cam and im SEt .muahahahahha

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X