Code 43 & Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code 43 & Thermostat

First off and rather simply, my car isn't reaching operating temps anymore. In that the temp doesnt go above 100, or at least not very far. I don't think it's the CTS because if i sit at a light the temp does go up, but only just enough to see that it's moved. I'm thinking stuck open thermostat. Also, the heat was luke warm at best and it's usually real hot by the end of my 20 minute drive. No doubt i'll put a new thermostat in tomorrow, just want to double check to make sure thats the problem. I got one of those stupid "fail proof" ones that will get stuck OPEN but never CLOSED. yeah that worked out great someone told me those thermo's were crap.

Secondly I gave the car a scan and beside the annual EGR codes (which i'm not concerned about at the moment) i got a rather unfamiliar one. Trouble code 43, aka " Electronic Spark Control Error"

now at first i thought it was the ignition control module but i had just put a new one in not too long ago, then i looked at what the haynes manual says about a code 43:

"Knock Sensor (KS) Circuit" it goes on to say, "Check the ECM/PCM for an open or short to ground, if necessary, reroute the harness away from other wires such as spark plugs, etc. Replace the knock sensor.

So first off, is the haynes manual correct and a code 43 "Electronic Spark Control Error" is equivelant to a "Knock Sensor Circuit error"?

what exactly does this entail?

Is it possible my knock sensor (on the side of the block) is faulty? or perhaps my knock sensor chip in the PCM is faulty?

need some help on this one.

max

Re: Code 43 & Thermostat

hey bud.. i just had this problem on my 95 t/a.... To make a long story short,... its your knock sensor... is easy as hell to replace, but coolant goes everywhere when you pull the old one out. its located on the passenger side lower portion of the blocked.

Comment

sweet how much $ did the sensor cost and what tools/procedures are used to replace it?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
        I got one of those stupid "fail proof" ones that will get stuck OPEN but never CLOSED. yeah that worked out great someone told me those thermo's were crap.

OOOhhhh OOhhhh that was me! I absolutely hate those fail proof thermos. Napa Gold my friend, Napa Gold Thermo. Buy it, install it, love it.

Comment

lol yeah i'm learning to hate them too.

found a knock sensor, looks like 37 dollars. I wonder if my car has been losing any power because of the faulty knock sensor....

Comment

you wont lose power i thought the same, but i tuned the same times at the track as i did w/ the faulty one

Comment

alright, well either way, i've just bought new parts and will install them in a little bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X