Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal?

Noob question I know but what EXACTLY is the temperature reading on the gauges, as in where is this sample temperature being taken from?

When I got my headers done I noticed the temp gauge rising faster on a cold morning and lowering quicker while on the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
      i thought 97-02 gauge faces are the same?
      the faces are the same, except for the odometer, but the mechanics behind it aren't after '99

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      explain this a little further? why would 99+ guys have a less accurate gauge then us 99 and below guys?
      Not much more to explain. People were complaining at dealerships about inaccurate readings on the temp gauge, so starting in 99, they changed the parameters of how/when the computer moves the needle. If you car is dangerously hot, then the temp gauge will reflect that...same if your car's been sitting overnight. Both the temp gauges in my Firebird and Formula (both 99's) go from stone cold to normal operating temp, in about a half minute, after the car's been idling for a while...Do you really think the internals heated up that quickly, in that a short amount of time?

If you don't believe me, search on LS1tech about it

Comment

There taken off the upper intake the sensor is right under the TB. Your temps should drop when at high speeds since the air dam sucks up the air to the radiator, and at higher speeds the more air can flow through it disapaiting the heat quicker out of the fins of the radiator, and the fans kick off at a certian speed. At lower speeds and sitting in traffic is where the fans kick on to cool the radiator at a certain temp and turn off once the temp. is lowered. I think the headers allow more unrestricted exhaust flow out so the engine breaths better, so it will heat up quicker.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

i'm not suggesting my gauges run completely accurate, but in both my '00 ls1 (stock thermo) and '02 3800 (with a thermo and manual fan switch) the temp doesn't do that. it takes several minutes to warm up on a cold start and eventually rises to the normal operating temp, usually requiring a bit of throttle or driving a bit to warm up the engine---never once has either car read cold to operating temp that quickly (under a minute). i used to have a '97 which behaved exactly as the newer models...so i can vouch for the consistency of the gauges in my experiences.

smoke-are both of yours tuned or stock?
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
            the faces are the same, except for the odometer, but the mechanics behind it aren't after '99

Not much more to explain. People were complaining at dealerships about inaccurate readings on the temp gauge, so starting in 99, they changed the parameters of how/when the computer moves the needle. If you car is dangerously hot, then the temp gauge will reflect that...same if your car's been sitting overnight. Both the temp gauges in my Firebird and Formula (both 99's) go from stone cold to normal operating temp, in about a half minute, after the car's been idling for a while...Do you really think the internals heated up that quickly, in that a short amount of time?

If you don't believe me, search on LS1tech about it
            I scanned mine today with 90 degree temps outside, it took it about 5 minutes driving to reach 160 degree temp, then hit a max of 178 degrees after about 30 mins to 45 mins of driving. I do have a drilled 160 thermo and fans reprogramed. I'm glad my 96' the gauge is accurate.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
              never once has either car read cold to operating temp that quickly (under a minute).
              I never said mine did that. Re-read my post
              Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
              Both the temp gauges in my Firebird and Formula (both 99's) go from stone cold to normal operating temp, in about a half minute, after the car's been idling for a while...Do you really think the internals heated up that quickly, in that a short amount of time?
              really now...are the temps gonna rise that quickly, then stop heating up right around the 210 mark naturally?

smoke-are both of yours tuned or stock?
              the V6 was HPTuner'd, and we didn't touch the fan cut-on temp. The Formula was dyno-tuned by the previous owner, so who knows what the shop did or didn't touch.

Comment

gotcha---missed that line. i plan on having mine dyno-tuned after my full exhaust is up and running, so we'll see if that effects my gauge readings.
                pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I wonder if you could hardwire the sensor to the temp gauge or if the gauge only works off the computer.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

If you have HPtuners or a scanner it would be the same thing, you can moniiter it.

Comment

thanks for all the help... i picked up a hypertech so i can tune the fans.... i know the hypertech doesnt do much but atleast i can set the fans

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X