Fuel Pump or just gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump or just gas?

Well i was driving home on surface streets from flagstaff, and all the suddent when i was shifting from first to second, as soon as i disengaged the clutch the car jerked around and then went back to normal, which i thought was fine because i thought i still might have had the clutch engaged. But then it got worse every time i shifted i fell flat on its face the slowly went back to normal. Then i tried accelerating, and it wouldnt even do that, it mess up again. Then the car turned off. i didnt know what was going on, so i thought about filling my car up with gas. I was able to start it up and drove to the nearest gas station. Once I filled it up it drove fine and didnt have any problem. But the problem is that the tank wasnt empty. I only filled it up with 13.7 gallons, wich dosent seem like it would be empty because i think that the gas tanks are 15 gallon tanks? so i dont want this to happen again, i donno if it could be the fuel pump, or just the gas any suggestions? maybe somthing else like a fuel filter or possibly the o2 sensor?
    Sorry for the long post,
    thanks for trying to help!

Re: Fuel Pump or just gas?

if you have a 98 and below car, your gas tank is 15.5 gallons

the gas tanks are a little different with the way the fuel pump is inside and you cannot let them get too empty, putting 13.7 gallons in is letting it get too empty, you probably started to suck up crud at the bottom of the tank, and it was clogging your filter sock, or with the gas sloshing around in the tank, you may have started to suck air up.. which is a GREAT way to kill a fuel pump especially in the 15.5gal tank

its recommended that you dont go below 1/4 tank because after that, you increase the chances of your fuel pump overheating and going bad

Comment

Re: Fuel Pump or just gas?

X2

It is never a good idea to run your car that low on gas. It is a sure way to ruin the fuel pump.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
        by ssms5411
        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
        1 week ago
      • RPDRed6
        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
        by RPDRed6
        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
        3 weeks ago
      • ssms5411
        No start problem
        by ssms5411
        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X