oil gauge playin games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil gauge playin games

ok it all started i wanna say 3 weeks ago...it was pourin rainin out and i went threw this huge puddle. So my gauge starts messin up and only workin when i am on the gas. but once i let off of it my oil pressure would drop to nothin and my check gauges would go on...so i let it dry out and it would stop for the most part...but now its been 3 weeks and it still does it even when its 80 degrees and dry as a bone...what is up with it?
    i ya its on a 96 3.8

87 Firebird RIP
    96 Camaro RS RIP
    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
    02 WS6 TA - Sold

change the guage... my 94 sender unit crapped out like 2.5 years ago.. since your car is 2 years newer then my 94 woudln't be uncommon for it to go out?

seriously do the guage, engine temp and oil pressure are things you don't want to mess with.

If I remember right its actually pretty easy to get to on a the 3.8L.
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Check out your oil pressure sending unit. It's a ~3 inch long cylinder-looking thing screwed into the front of your engine near your oil filter. Mine was acting irratic like that right before it died and started leaking oil all over the front of my engine though the electrical connection/plug.

Once it let go I started smelling burning oil (since it was flying back onto my exhaust manifold). It's an easy fix that only costs about $35 and 5 minutes of installation.
      1997 Camaro, Y87 Perf. Package, iRotor Drilled & Slotted Brakes, Bilstien Shocks, Custom drive shaft, K&N Filter, & Mobil 1 synthetic. 202+K miles and still drives like new.<br />-If you can\'t stomp \'em in the straights, kill \'em in the corners...

Comment

yeah the one on my 3.4L started spraying oil all over the exhaust...

car looked like the eclipse in FAST and fursious at stop lights, smoke coming form under the hood, I lost about a quart every 70 miles. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

just to warn you I had to wait a week for the part... If you are thinking about waiting to the last minute to replace it. Made a ****ing mess but luckily I lived in an apartment at the time [img]smile.gif[/img]
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

i changed that part over the summer cuz it was leakin oil out of the plug in piece...could it b that its gone bad again?

87 Firebird RIP
          96 Camaro RS RIP
          94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Could be if it was made or built on a Monday or Friday in Mexico or China lol.

I replaced the part awhile back after showing symptoms exactly as you described. No more erratic needle to this day.
            Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X