Spark plug recommendation & some install tips - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spark plug recommendation & some install tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug recommendation & some install tips

First off, change your stock ones way before 100k miles (how long they are supposed to last).

I put TR55's in place of them (availible from one of our sponsors, thunderracing.com) gapped at .065 (.005 wider than stock)

I felt a noticable sotp difference. Nothing huge, but enough for me to notice. Better throttle response & overall quicker car.

Great plugs!

Also, if you have tubular manifolds, it is pretty darn easy.

Some tips:
    1. Mechanix Gloves: trust me, you will be much better off with them. Helps much w/ grip and protects the hands from the evil things in the engine.
    2. Small socket extension: a must, needs to be on the smaller side though, too long and you will be hitting fenders, etc.
    3. If you don't have a torque wrench: hand tighten w/ the extension then put the socket on & give it about 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn. No more. If you do, good luck fitting it down there, you will need it.
    4. Anti-sieze: helps a bundle in ensuring you do not cross-thread the plugs. They go in very easily w/ it.
    5. Helps if you gap all the spark plugs & apply anti-sieze to them first. That way, you just grab them off the shelf when its time to use them. and you won't be applying anti-sieze w/ dirty hands or gloves
    6. Try to keep the plugs as clean as possible.

Hardest part of the install? Removing the boots from the plugs.

I did the whole job in about 2-3 hours or so. Wasn't bad at all.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: strobhen ]</p>
    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Hallelujah! Just finished changing plugs and wires for the first time. What a job. Only took six hours but most of that was routing wires and trying to get the middle pass. boot on. Hope they last for 100,000--LOL.
    P.S. Don't forget the dielectric grease for the boots. Makes next change a whole lot easier.

Comment

Hours??? I changed my plus last month in like 30 minutes... Anitseize and all... yes, tubular manifolds do help alot... I'd probably say another 30 to get the MSD's on and loomed up. Love the TR55's tho [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X