A few $100 to spend, what to look into? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few $100 to spend, what to look into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few $100 to spend, what to look into?

Well I drive a black 1997 Camaro 3.8l v6, completely stock except for the flowmaster muffler I have on it.
    I'm a newb to cars pretty much, and I've got a couple hundred dollars (200-300 maybe) to spend, and was wondering what I should invest in.

I've been told headers, but I'm not quite sure what they do, how much they are, or where I would go about getting them... so I'm not sure.

What would be a nice, beneficial mod to look into?

CAI. exhaust is pointless if the car doesnt take in enough air.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

How much would a CAI setup run, parts and labor? Or would it be easy enough for someone like me to install?

Comment

Saw an SLP kit on ebay for like $200 shipped, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to install, or if it came with everything necessary to install...

Comment

http://www.ftpp.net/V6Main.htm the guy who runs it name is josh and he is on this board as viper98885 he can get you set up.

installing it shouldnt take you more than a half an hour with a couple of tools needed.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

The kit on ebay is $192 shipped, but it's part SLP-2014, which is for v8, so I'm assuming it won't fit my car.

I've only got $220 in my paypal account, and none in my bank account lol, so I guess it will have to wait until I get paid.
            Also, what sort of performance gains would I get from cold air intake?

Comment

depending on the miles on your car. and age of ignition products already installed you may get a higher seat of pants feel and better HP and MPG witha GOOD ignition tune up.. plugs wires coils. also a fuel filter. and a profesional fuel system cleaning... just to bring everything you have back to optimal or better...

cold air kits on a stock car with only an exhuast cant offer more than 5 HP max to our cars.. where as a good tune up and maintainence job can give you back 5HP you might be losing with worn out parts. and gain a few with the after market parts you install, it would be cheaper than a 200$ cold air kit.

also if you have a V-6 auto get the
              B&M shift improver for 40$. you will LOVE the instant and noticable improvment. along with a longer tranny life.
              1996 Dark Green V-6 auto. few mods.<br />previous rides:<br />1989 turbo 5 speed dodge caravan (18 PSI, 3\" exhuast,intercooled blah blah)<br />1989 Mustang GT (11.72 @118 many many mods, blown engine a.t.m. :-( )

Comment

r u sure a shift kit wont wear out the tranny faster?
                higher pressures etc

theres also transgo
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

faster shifts = less slip time. = long trans life.

its not a kit. its an eletronic device that tells the tranny to have faster/crisper higher line preasure shifts..
                  1996 Dark Green V-6 auto. few mods.<br />previous rides:<br />1989 turbo 5 speed dodge caravan (18 PSI, 3\" exhuast,intercooled blah blah)<br />1989 Mustang GT (11.72 @118 many many mods, blown engine a.t.m. :-( )

Comment

Application only through '98? What did they change in the 60Es in '99 to make these not compatible (or worthwhile)?
                    \'01 Camaro Vert ~ Black on Teal (but Mean Green in the sun)

Comment

What are the other advantages and disadvantages of the shift improver? Any change to MPG or HP, or does it just shift faster?
                      2000 White Firebird <br />K&N Filter, Aluminum Driveshaft<br /><br />95 White Firebird - Laid to Rest<br />K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust, Jet Chip

Comment

you guys seriously havent tried this 40$ mod.. its AWESOME.. plug in and go. takes like 10 minutes to put on... select/adjustable shift enhancement.. i just installed mine.. my first mod actually.. that 48-54 MPH part throttle up shift was being sorta week and annoying on my car... cleared it right up.. and quicker and harder shifts through all gears.

heres a linky poo for you guys..

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...2&autoview=sku

this is the one i bought. installs at the computer .very easy on mine with the computer under the dash.works PERFECT .2 wires to hook up. you can choose stock, firmer, or REAL firm shift with a selectable controller that it comes with.you can adjust it on the fly.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...134+4294822072

heres another that more than likely does the same thing BUT&gt; its 3 TIMES more expesnive. and doesnt look select/adjusable on the fly. looks like it plugs into the tranny it self..

Comment

WTF - the non-selectable Granatelli module says it is good for all years of the 60E. I called B&M and asked why their Shift+ was through 1998 only - all models. The dude didn't know. :rolleyes: I'm going to keep on this until I learn the truth. I hope I can HANDLE THE TRUTH!
                          \'01 Camaro Vert ~ Black on Teal (but Mean Green in the sun)

Comment

those line pressure increasers have been proven to destroy the 4L60E.

spend your money on a new intake setup.

[ September 20, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Rowdy Burns ]

Comment

get an aluminum drive shaft.
                              check ebay.
                              check here...http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

you can get them for $150 or less. don't get a corvette drive shaft...get an Fbody drive shaft...4th gen...it will fit.
                              01 Firebird A4 3.42
                              Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                              and other mods
                              Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X