A few $100 to spend, what to look into? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few $100 to spend, what to look into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allright, lets break it down.

the B&M thing is rumored to harm transmissions... i dunno, ive never tried it. im not willing to risk it, especially on this old transmission.

youre going to want an intake, get slp, its a great bang for the buck mod and unless youre planning on doing turbo or something like that down the road you'll always be able to use it.
    You can find it as cheap as 150 used. Search the forums and ebay. Make sure you get the one that comes with the 1le elbow. Its just a little rubber elbow that the v8's had. It replaces the stock intake setup near the throttle body and allows the slp intake to fit in our cars. Install is very straight forward. Its the first thing i ever did on my car, and i had about zero mechanical ability at the time, and i was able to get it on in about 45 minutes. The worst part of the whole thing is taking off the splash guard, wich is really just a bunch of bolts that are easily accessable from underneath. You also will need to take out the old IAT piece from the old intake. if i remember correctly, i ended up greasing it up and cutting the grommet with some scissors. mine was a paint to get out. besides that, its just a matter of slippin the old one out and the new one in. very straight forward.

and if youre still worried about it:

http://www.freewebtown.com/Loochy88/Pre983800slpcai.pdf

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

my ses light came on and i took it to autozone to get it read, and the code came out to be, 1870 Transmission Component Slipping, but it doesnt feel like my tranny is going out or anything...would it be smart to get this B&M shift kit?
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/808840\" target=\"_blank\">My 1996 V6 T-Top Camaro</a>

Comment

no it would not. If you are going to get a trans kit get the trans go and have someone install it. Its a lot more but it is the right way to go. Also a corvette servo is a good upgrade. If your tranny is going out get the Jet rebuild kit at ftpp and you might as well get the upgraded clutch pack that takes you from 6 to 9 clutches. The transmission is not something that should be done half assed.
        2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X