Brake light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light help

I had to replace my brake light socket this weekend. The thing was so corroded and rusted i couldn't get the old bulb out. Bulb was good but the brake light never worked (I guess because of the corrosion and all). I got the new socket in and checked the brake light. The brake light is very dim though. I turn my lights on and check to see if the brake light works, NO! the brake light doesn't come on with the lights on, it actually looks like with the lights on that the brake light is on also. I am sure I connected the correct wires when replacing the socket. I just crimped the wires together though, I don't have a soldering tool or whatever it is. Could this be caused by a bad connection possibly?

BTW: my socket for the rear blinker needs replaced also. The light works, but it was a PITA getting the socket out of the taillamp and it wouldn't go back in. I guess it must have expanded because of all the corrosion and rust and $hit????
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

Originally posted by 97camRS:
    I don't have a soldering tool or whatever it is. Could this be caused by a bad connection possibly?

Yes.

When you say "crimped", what did you use? Soldering is best, but you should at least use wire nuts and electrical tape. (((Cut/strip both wires the same length, and insert into nut, then make sure you use a pair of pliers to twist the nut on. Make sure you have three twists in the wire, then black tape the whole area))) Alot of those cheapy butte connectors from Auto Zone and similar are crap. You could also be dealing with several other problems. Start at the rear and work forward, when you check for problems.

[ September 19, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Rabid Dog ]
    <b>99 Pewter Metallic Camaro</b><br />SLP Ultra-Z Hood, Shaved Antenna, !mouldings, Chrome Halos, Filled Factory Grill, Y2K 18 R 19 F, SLP Whisper Lid, (functional w/ Hood), FlowMaster American Thunder C.B, QA1 Coilovers, Kuhmo Tires.

Comment

I used the connectors that came with the socket. I cut and stripped each wire, inserted each wire into the ends of the connector and used wire cutters/strippers/etc. to crimp them together. Then used electrical tape. I have a friend who does electrical work for a living, I'll see if he has a soldering tool and can do that for me.

I made sure to use plenty of that dialectric grease to try and keep the moisture out also.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X