2.8 What's up with em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 What's up with em?

Hi folks I'm new here and I see a lot about the 3.4s and the 3.8s and I know one of the best ways to make power is more displacement but what about the 2.8s? Are there just little to no aftermarket parts available or is it just more cost efficient to junk it and drop in a 3.x.
    I have a familiar story, bought it new in 90 it's a 89 auto. been the best car I've ever owned, hands down and I've had a few. So whats up, I was thinking a mild cam larger injectors cat back K&N reprogramming then on to the body and interior and I'd have something kind of cool to drive on the weekends for the next 20 years or so.
    Somebody told me a few years back the 2.8s were good engines until they were opened up then they were problematic.
    Any thoughts?

Re: 2.8 What's up with em?

2.8's weren't all that most of the Aftermarket support goes to the Fiero's which used the same 2.8's in the fbodys.

I've seen some turbo'ed 2.8's but they've never really put up some good numbers. Most guys end up swaping in a 3.4 as a replacement for a 2.8 in the end for more power or end up going with a V8.

Comment

The 3.4s from what I understand are a easy swap, can I keep my plenum and throttle body? Would I need all new accessories transmission computer?

Comment

this is what i think. your car is heavy and only has 135 hp...the 2.8 is pointless, but swapping in a 3.4 and using your plenum is a better idea. 3.4 slow to go did it. he has a car domain with some pics and stuff. you should look him up. maybe shoot him a message.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

That's what I needed to know, I'll take you're advice.
          Thanks flaimingchicken,from Pascagoula.

Comment

unless ur car is broke and u dont have much money, i wouldnt swap another v6 in. if u have the money, put a 350 in...

Comment

Swapping a 3.4 into it would b just swapping boat anchors. Both engines don't make much power and the aftermarket for them arnt that big. Swapping a cam and doing all stuff u mentioned before would really b better off saved for a swap.

87 Firebird RIP
              96 Camaro RS RIP
              94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
              02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

you're so supportive!!!!!!!!!! at least they don't have opti-crap

(waits for bibby to come in going "blah blah blah" :wavey:
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by ryanlee View Post
                  That's what I needed to know, I'll take you're advice.
                  Thanks flaimingchicken,from Pascagoula.
                  you aint that far. there is someone from like orange beach with a turbo'd 3.8 onhere...or maybe its fort walton.

Either way, back to the topic, as stated above, swapping a 3.4 in would be kind of pointless, seeing as you can get a 305 or 350 to swap in for prolly pretty cheap. i would say, be happy that you have a 20 year old car that is in good condition, and if it aint broke dont fix it. but if you are interested in another v-6 swap, and you really wanna do it, go for it and dont listen to anyone. but just know, there are other options out there, research. get up on thirdgen.org and look around.
                  Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go View Post
                    you're so supportive!!!!!!!!!! at least they don't have opti-crap

(waits for bibby to come in going "blah blah blah" :wavey:
                    blah blah blah

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

wow, its like 3.4 is psycho or something....psychic maybe? aw hell, same thing.
                      Team NoVa

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll think on it a little more.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X