Rough idle....SES light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough idle....SES light

It's a '94 Camaro w/ the 3.4 and an automatic. 175K miles. I just bought it about 6 weeks ago. Problem is, it has a rough idle and the SES light comes on. It has never died while idling, it just idles rough. When you give it gas it runs smooth. It smells a little rich at an idle too. I've changed the PCV valve, spark plugs, air filter. The wires are soft and they don't seem to be jumping fire (no sparks at night with the hood up and the engine running). Could it be the O2 sensors causing rough idle?? What else??

Regarding the SES light, it mainly seems to come on when you are driving a constant speed and then let off the gas to coast. I tried to check for codes but the SES light won't flash. In the instruction manual for the code reader it says that if the light doesn't flash at all with the code reader plugged in, then there is another problem somewhere that needs to be fixed before the code reader will work. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Chris

The code reader should give you some info.
    I'd replace the spark plug wires anyway. Just because you don't see them arking, it doesn't mean they are in excellent shape. There could be a split inside of the wire causing an ark that you cannot see. My car misfired like crazy until I narrowed it down to a faulty wire.
    If you are still getting a misfire after replacing the wires, then I'd get the car professionally scanned.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

same thing happened to me and I found myself with an overheated car about a month later on the side of the highway. $1700 later my car is fine but I'm broke. My valves warped and had a blown gasket leaking coolant very very slowly. My advice is to check it out and dont keep driving it till its fixed.
      -------------------------<br />\'99 Camaro A4 HUGGER ORANGE<br />Mods:<br />JET CHIP Stage 2 (for sale)<br />Magnaflow Catback System 2.5\"<br />SLP CAI<br />!FRA<br />160 degree Thermo<br /><br />Email: Maniac02570@aol.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
        New Site Hosting Issues
        by FirebirdGT
        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
        1 week ago
      • LETZRIDE
        New Owner!
        by LETZRIDE
        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
        3 weeks ago
      • LETZRIDE
        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
        02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X