serious question about engine removal - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

serious question about engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serious question about engine removal

Ok so the story is my engine has a bad knock and I'm pulling it out to have it rebuilt, My question is, is it easier to pull the engine from the top or bottom? I've read all kinds of stuff, but haven't gotten a clear answer. I'm going to do all the work in my 2 car garage. Car is a 1998 Firebird convertible. Anyone have decent pictures so I have an idea of what might be easier? Thanks.

Re: serious question about engine removal

Ah, you're in luck, I just finished my bottom swap today. Here ya go.

Comment

Ask me any questions you need, as the whole process is still pretty fresh in my head.

Comment

it would be alot easier to take it out from the bottom...but the way the car has to get jacked up...kinda is freakie lol....
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

^ X2 it does look dangerous but it is also pretty quick to do if you have the right stuff on hand.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

X3:rock:
            headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
            powerdyne supercharger 6psi
            GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
            Hell yea

Comment

I used the 2x4 block tower/jackstand to keep the car up, and left the hoist and chain hooked up to the radiator support for safe measure.

Notice my old engine was completely disassembled before I took it out. This is unnecessary, you can leave the old engine all together. I just got board :)

Whereas if you're going to take it out the top, you'll have to pull the intakes and a bunch of stuff top end, as well as most of the front of the car. You can take a look at some top pulls to see how invasive it is.

Comment

Do you lift the body off or lower the engine down after the car is jacked up?

Also, what are the main parts you have to unbolt to free it up from the car?

I need to do this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cantrip View Post
                  Do you lift the body off or lower the engine down after the car is jacked up?

I need to do this soon.
                  you lift the body up after you loose the engine
                  headers, high flow cat, slp loudmouth
                  powerdyne supercharger 6psi
                  GT2 cam. all done by myself :banana:
                  Hell yea

Comment

Originally posted by BAD BIRD View Post
                    you lift the body up after you loose the engine

You could leave the trans & engine on then use a jack on the trans and engine then unbolt everything and roll it out. That way when you lower it out you can make sure everything is disconnected so nothing rips out or breaks. Either way works.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

out the bottom for sure
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cantrip View Post
                        You have the k-member bolts, driveshaft, trans mount, upper strut mounts, steering shaft, fuel lines, throttle linkage, coolant hoses, brake lines, clutch, and wiring harness is the bulk of it. Take pictures of quadrants so you remember where your grounds go and what not. I would also start collecting coffee cans or something to organize and label all of the hardware you will be taking off.

Comment

^ What he said! YYou also have to disconnect the front sway bar (4 bolts, easy) and the toque arm (automatic tranny, easy)

I personally am a fan of ziplock bags and a sharpie to bvag and label everything and where it goes. It's a lifesaver when yougo to put things back together.

But yeah, once you disconnect everything, there are six 18mm bolts that hold the k-member to the body, and the 8 nuts on the strut tower.

Comment

alright thanks, I might have questions because I'm gonna start this probly tomorrow, and I'll take pictures of my progress. Thanks everyone.

Comment

I wish i had a garage...fck

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X