seafoam - i have asked this question before, and never got an answer. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seafoam - i have asked this question before, and never got an answer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seafoam - i have asked this question before, and never got an answer.

ok, i will give some background.

When you have a very dirty engine, or acually, just an engine that didnt have very regular oil changed (like, maby every 7,000 miles) your engine would be worn down more than one with an oil change every 3,000 miles, right? Right. All of this stuff that is worn down will now have sludge in it taking up space. When you put the seafoam in your car, you take that sludge out, and guess what happens? your engine wears down alot, real quick.

Is what im saying true? My car has 93,000 miles on it, and i can tell that it hasnt had regular oil changes (my dads impala and my car have the same ammount of miles on it since last oil change (500 mi) and his car's oil is ALOT cleaner than mine)

Here is another explanation of what im trying to say:

I have a motorized scooter, and it has a small gearbox. We decided to change the gear oil in it, and when we were pouring it out, there was ALOT of metal flake in it. We put new gear oil in (which would simulate cleaning the engine out with seafoam) and the scooter made it about 100 ft. before the gears acually grinded up and locked the gearbox up. This SAME thing happened to my dads friend, he changed the tranny oil, and 2 weeks later his tranny went out of it.

What is happening (with the scooter anyways) is that there was so much metal in the gearbox, that no more could come out... so it was fine (which would be the sludge in the engine) when we changed the gear oil, it opens a TON of space and let the gears just grind themself to pieces.

In my eyes, seafoam would do the same thing, ecept that the metal would be the sludge, and the new gear oil would be the seafoam cleaning out the oil.

so, can i have some responses on this?

I dont know about the seafoam for sure, but if you want to try this, you can take the drain plug out of the gear box, completley drain it all out, and use a magnet to get the metal flake over to the drain hole.. and get out as much flake as you can.
    Sorry i dont have more ?lol
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98:
      I dont know about the seafoam for sure, but if you want to try this, you can take the drain plug out of the gear box, completley drain it all out, and use a magnet to get the metal flake over to the drain hole.. and get out as much flake as you can.
      Sorry i dont have more ?lol
      i dont think you understood what i was saying.

The metal flakes had nothing to do with it, it was acually the oil WITHOUT the metal flakes that made it go bad.

Comment

Seafoam is good in and of itself. When you have neglected your engine, transmission, rear end or anything that is lubricated, there are varnishes that are created. You have accelerated wear because of the lack of lubrication. Seafoan will loosen the varnish and deposits - it is not creating any additional clearances. The transmission failure was coincidental to the use. The damage was already done. I use Seafoam in all my engines, motorcycles, lawn tractors and go-karts - Seafoam is not the problem - lack of proper maintenance is. Seafoam is also very useful in fuel systems - carbs or injection.
        SpookF4E
        Spook

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom II:
          Seafoam is good in and of itself. When you have neglected your engine, transmission, rear end or anything that is lubricated, there are varnishes that are created. You have accelerated wear because of the lack of lubrication. Seafoan will loosen the varnish and deposits - it is not creating any additional clearances. The transmission failure was coincidental to the use. The damage was already done. I use Seafoam in all my engines, motorcycles, lawn tractors and go-karts - Seafoam is not the problem - lack of proper maintenance is. Seafoam is also very useful in fuel systems - carbs or injection.
          SpookF4E
          your saying that 2 trannys went bad because of cleaning them out, and both are coincidential?

Comment

whats your question??

If you're so dead set on this theory then technically what you're saying is that you should never change any of your fluids ever because you're disrupt the oil/metal ratio inside the lubricant, then never get an oil change again or else you're engine will fall apart. So, you try that and I'll just keep changing my fluids regularly and I bet my car lasts longer.

But seafom just works in the combustion chamber not where your oil is.

Comment

Just cause your dads oil is cleaner does not mean anything. Changing fuilds does not cause anything to fail, unless you put motor oil in the transsmission or power stearing fluid in the gear box etc. If you have slug taking up space in your car you need to get it out, no it will not cause your car to fall apart, slug is not holding your engine together if thats what your thinking. What makes you think anyways that your oil has been changed every 7000 miles? Does the car caugh out smoke when you start it? If you think the oil is dirty from cleaning your engine, thats good, thats what it does, change it again., if it looks that bad. If you just bought the car, change all the fuilds in it.
              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

the job of oil is to take out the all the imperities that come from combustion hense making the oil look dirty which it means its doing it job. also it supposed to keep all the parts lubricated..........plus part of your post that is telling us changing you fluids wrecked the gear box and transmission makes absolutely no sense at all. your an idiot!

Comment

LOL [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

if you change the fluids regulary, then it will be fine, but if you dont change your oil in 90,000 miles, and your tranny fluid in 300,000 miles, im saying that once you change the oil and tranny fluid, your engine/tranny is mostlikely to go out after that.

im NOT saying you should never change your oil.

Comment

Originally posted by '94 Camaro RS:
                      plus part of your post that is telling us changing you fluids wrecked the gear box and transmission makes absolutely no sense at all. your an idiot!
                      right, im an idiot, because there was so much metal in the gearbox, no more could grind off, and when i changed the oil, more metal ground off, and ruined it.

yea, im a total idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by victimizati0n:
                        ok, i will give some background.

Here is another explanation of what im trying to say:

I have a motorized scooter, and it has a small gearbox. We decided to change the gear oil in it, and when we were pouring it out, there was ALOT of metal flake in it. We put new gear oil in (which would simulate cleaning the engine out with seafoam) and the scooter made it about 100 ft. before the gears acually grinded up and locked the gearbox up.

What is happening (with the scooter anyways) is that there was so much metal in the gearbox, that no more could come out... so it was fine (which would be the sludge in the engine) when we changed the gear oil, it opens a TON of space and let the gears just grind themself to pieces.
                        you know why there was a lot of metal flake in it?its probably cuz you ran the scooter harder than it should have been or its cuz your gears werent aligned correctly making them wear down a lot faster than they should have!(ever think of that ex-lax! lol) it only made it another 100 ft because the gears suck and its not because of the fluid change. and also why are you comparing sludge to metal flakes in the gears? there two totally different things! before i flame you some more here is some advice..dont post these types of threads trying to think your smart becuase the stuff you say is completely irrelevant (sp?)to one another.....

Comment

Originally posted by victimizati0n:
                          if you change the fluids regulary, then it will be fine, but if you dont change your oil in 90,000 miles, and your tranny fluid in 300,000 miles, im saying that once you change the oil and tranny fluid, your engine/tranny is mostlikely to go out after that.
                          if you dont change your fluid to the extremes you posted, its not the changing of oil and tranny fluid thats going to wreck it, its the sh*t that built up due to the long mileage without changing it. especially going 90,000 miles without an oil change(pretty much impossible)......little side note/story: I was listening to the Bob and Tom Show on the radio and he went 25,000 miles without an oil change becuase he is lazy and what not blah blah blah. when the mechanic drained the oil it was like molasses. thats more harmful and more likely to wreck it then putting new stuff in after such long mileage. (if that makes any sense??)

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by victimizati0n:
                            if you dont change your fluid to the extremes you posted, its not the changing of oil and tranny fluid thats going to wreck it, its the sh*t that built up due to the long mileage without changing it. especially going 90,000 miles without an oil change(pretty much impossible)......little side note/story: I was listening to the Bob and Tom Show on the radio and he went 25,000 miles without an oil change becuase he is lazy and what not blah blah blah. when the mechanic drained the oil it was like molasses. thats more harmful and more likely to wreck it then putting new stuff in after such long mileage. (if that makes any sense??) </font>[/QUOTE]yes, the oil was so THICK.. so guess what happens???? It makes gaps in the engine, and when you put thin oil in the engine again, it wrecks it.

this is what i was trying to convey.

Comment

you know why there was a lot of metal flake in it?its probably cuz you ran the scooter harder than it should have been or its cuz your gears werent aligned correctly making them wear down a lot faster than they should have!(ever think of that ex-lax! lol) it only made it another 100 ft because the gears suck and its not because of the fluid change. and also why are you comparing sludge to metal flakes in the gears? there two totally different things! before i flame you some more here is some advice..dont post these types of threads trying to think your smart becuase the stuff you say is completely irrelevant (sp?)to one another..... [/QB]
                              we never really beat the crap out of the scooter, it ran 100% fine untill we changed the gear oil, and the gearbox totally locked up, and grinded the hell out of the gears.

It probably had hell... 2000 miles on it, then we changed the gear oil, and it went 100'.. i highly doubt it is a counisidence... but i could be wrong.. i have no way in prooving it.

yes, i know metal flakes and not changing oil is different, but i wasnt comparing them, i was giving examples of what im talking about.

also, your not flaming me, and i would suggest you dont... you really dont, believe me.

im in no way trying to be "smart" i am asking if i am right or not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X