seafoam - i have asked this question before, and never got an answer. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seafoam - i have asked this question before, and never got an answer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is funny.

It's believed that if your tranny has really nasty oil (ie, smells burnt and slipping), changing it can kill it. But it's not the fresh oil that kills it...the damage was already done by the old oil.

You can't seriously compare a scooter to a modern automatic transmission. Regardless, it was already on its last leg when you went without changing the oil. All you did was speed up the process.

Changing your oil every 7,000 miles is not going to destroy your engine. The new oils are guaranteed for 15,000 miles. Nor will Seafoam destroy your engine.

Originally posted by victimizati0n:
    also, your not flaming me, and i would suggest you dont... you really dont, believe me.
    :rolleyes:
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Im sorry, but i have to tell you. You are so wrong with every thing your say. If your car is in this bad of shape you were a fool to buy it.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

[/qb][/QUOTE]yes, the oil was so THICK.. so guess what happens???? It makes gaps in the engine, and when you put thin oil in the engine again, it wrecks it.

this is what i was trying to convey. [/QB][/QUOTE]

what do you mean by creating gaps in the engine?? .... wouldnt it be the opposite of that like when the oil is thick it doesnt go to the tiny places it should and thats what wrecks the engine. makes the pump run harder burining that out then creating low oil pressure eventually killing your engine

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
          This thread is funny.

It's believed that if your tranny has really nasty oil (ie, smells burnt and slipping), changing it can kill it. But it's not the fresh oil that kills it...the damage was already done by the old oil.

You can't seriously compare a scooter to a modern automatic transmission. Regardless, it was already on its last leg when you went without changing the oil. All you did was speed up the process.

Changing your oil every 7,000 miles is not going to destroy your engine. The new oils are guaranteed for 15,000 miles. Nor will Seafoam destroy your engine.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by victimizati0n:
          also, your not flaming me, and i would suggest you dont... you really dont, believe me.
          :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]exactly, im not saying the oil caused it, im saying it went bad because it was changed, if we would of never changed the gear oil, it would of lasted alot longer.

It sped up the process...and putting seafoam will do the same thing, speed up the precess of an engine if it is failing.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72:
            Im sorry, but i have to tell you. You are so wrong with every thing your say. If your car is in this bad of shape you were a fool to buy it.
            thanks alot for telling me how im wrong.

yea, im a fool for buying a car... how was i suppose to know the engine was dirty???? Do you think that dealerships DONT change the oil, so you can see it?

What do you want me to do, testdrive the car for 3 weeks before i buy it? Find me a dealership that will let me test it long enough to get the oil really dirty, and i will do that next time i buy a used car.

Comment

say ill buy this car from you if you tear apart the engine and show me that everything is in tip top shape.. and all that good sh!t.
              [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] Hilarious
              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                This thread is funny.

exactly, im not saying the oil caused it, im saying it went bad because it was changed, if we would of never changed the gear oil, it would of lasted alot longer.

It sped up the process...and putting seafoam will do the same thing, speed up the precess of an engine if it is failing.
                </font>[/QUOTE]how do you know that if you left the old oil in the gear box that the thing would have lasted longer. you cant prove it. the damage was already done becuase there was all those metal chips in it so obviously there was something wrong with the gear box and not because you changed the fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by '94 Camaro RS:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by victimizati0n:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                  This thread is funny.

exactly, im not saying the oil caused it, im saying it went bad because it was changed, if we would of never changed the gear oil, it would of lasted alot longer.

</font>[/QUOTE]how do you know that if you left the old oil in the gear box that the thing would have lasted longer. you cant prove it. the damage was already done becuase there was all those metal chips in it so obviously there was something wrong with the gear box and not because you changed the fluid.
                  </font>[/QUOTE]because there was so much metal in the gearbox, it couldnt grind more off, and when we changed the oil, more metal could drind off, and it just ground down really fast.

Comment

k Im not going to bother saying anything about the seafoam...it's all been said, I will however speak a little about your go-ped gear box.....k " there was so much metal in the gearbox, that no more could come out" impossible in fact by leaving these metal flakes in the gear box they create more friction and cause more harm...more loose metal grinding on already loose gears???? think about it or do an experiment....take some sand and put it on your hands rub them together for a while it'll hurt and wear a layer of skin off your hands if you persist assuming now were in a closed environment (such as your gearbox) the sand will never dissipate or go away, if you keep rubbing you will be left with stubs, now if you stop wash your hands free of the sand it will slow the process of your skin detiorating. understand? ok and as for not changing the oil in your engine because the oil is too thin....they do in fact make heavier weight oils, usually marked for "higher mileage" engines so in part your correct in saying the thinner oil will do damage, but your incorrect in saying leaving the dirty thicker oil in there will increase longevity. if your that worried get some NON-synthetic oil 50w should be good and add a bottle of STP Oil Treatment &lt;---that stuff is thicker than molasses and WILL increase longevity....if you wanna put "good" sludge back in thats the stuff....anymore questions or theories please ask away BUT don't bring that tough guy act to the table nobody here respects that, besides it's the internet ;)

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                    05' CTS-V
                    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BobbyZ72:
                      thanks alot for telling me how im wrong.

yea, im a fool for buying a car... how was i suppose to know the engine was dirty???? Do you think that dealerships DONT change the oil, so you can see it?

What do you want me to do, testdrive the car for 3 weeks before i buy it? Find me a dealership that will let me test it long enough to get the oil really dirty, and i will do that next time i buy a used car.
                      </font>[/QUOTE]You should have lisoned to the engine, if its as bad as you say it would be knocking so bad you could hear it a mile away. You could have also taken off the oil cap and looked in with a flash light at the valve lifters and area around them. You could have also pulled the oil dipstick and seen what it looked like. I hope you got the car for almost free, the way your talking its not going too much longer.
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

i dont see how im trying to act "tough" but im not.

Comment

kid you're just missing the point of how all this works.
                          1- The reason gears break is because of friction. The metal gets hot and fragile.
                          2- if this happens to it when its in a solid gear it'll happen more frequently in a piece of metal drifting around the oil.
                          3- Which means the metal that breaks is going to continue to break down
                          4- and the point is... there will always be room for MORE metal to break off and enter the oil.

Changing your fluids does not cause any damage. Rather or not it facilitates the failure of a device is not something I'd know about. But I wouldnt come on here making the statement of "if you having changed 'insert fluid here' in xxx miles then you're better off not changing it at all or else it'll fail".

But as I said before, seafoam removes carbon buildup. Which sticks to the walls in the block. All it does is remove this build up, it doesnt scrape the block away like a bore job would.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X