no top end AT ALL, losing MPH at track - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no top end AT ALL, losing MPH at track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no top end AT ALL, losing MPH at track

I went to the track tonight for the first time this year...
    started out pretty rough, i had rotated the tires and never played with the tire pressure...
    3.1 60' time, 16.2
    3.3 60' time, 16.7
    so i played with the pressure some,
    spun a 2.4 to a 15.3
    then several 2.1's to 15.0's
    missed fourth, ran a 15.2 @ 82
    then odd stuff started happening...
    my launches weren't too bad.
    but third gear kept hittin kinda rough (no doubt my fault)
    on the last two runs, my third gear absolutely PUKED. hit 4800 rpm and just DIED. my last two runs were 15.2 @ 87 and 15.5 @ 85

Here's my potential culprits:
    1. running on copper plugs that have seen a lot of miles (~14000, that's a lot for bosch supercraps)
    2. Fuel filter that's 41000 miles, but it's probably clogging up the way i beat on my car (over 100 track passes last year)
    3. I didn't have much gas (starving the top end the last passes)
    4. that NASTY @%$^ exhaust rattle...could it be causing me false knock? I know the exhaust compared to my last one is quite more restrictive (hey i needed a quick fix).

I was also trapping about 1 - 1.75 mph slower, although my 60's were the same, 1/8th ET's and MPH were about the same as well (1/8th MPH was like .2 or .3 slow)
    For the 1/4 mile time, the 1/8 ET's were respectfully quick. upper 9.6's. The 9.8's I hit i normally ran 15.1 but I ran 15.3 and 15.5. SOMETHING ain't right when it comes to the top end.

I did all the little maintainence this week...oil change and rotated tires. launches were decent. but my top end was just HORRID. even with this Z28 exhaust i was trapping at ~92 in september last year. I didn't go above 91.5 today, and it was nice and VERY cool out.

sorry for the long winded post. I just hate it when things go wrong and I don't know what to do. any help is appreciated!!

2nd gear won't pull hard past 5000 rpms now, and you can forget about 3rd gear pull...this is two days after the track
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

clutch starting to slip???
    1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

nope

Comment

You should at least change your plugs and fuel filter, they are both overdue. A combination of a clogged filter and little gas could really hinder your top end if you were sucking air. I would guess that knock wasn't part of the problem, especially since you were only seeing it in the top of 3rd gear.

How much more restrictive is your exhaust? I thought you were running a full Z28 exhaust?.
        2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

actually john, i'm running that pathetic excuse of a stock S pipe, 2.5" I pipe and 2.75" over axle into the Z muffler.
          the guys at tuffy didn't want to play with My I pipe and I needed it fixed right then.

autotap shows misfires on cyls 1 and 5. so they're all(6) getting a new plug.

Comment

Is your air filter clean?
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

What muffler did you have before when you ran the 14.8?
              2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X