Smelling Gasoline + SES!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelling Gasoline + SES!!!

Whenever I have driven my car for awhile and go to the driver side rear of my car near the fuel door, I get a whiff of pure gasoline. Doesn't happen unless the car has been driving for awhile and also the fuel pump is humming LOUD. I get a P0406 code aswell. I've replaced the gas cap twice. Not to mention the fuel pump is a new stock unit and was replaced twice by the dealer... They found a small evap leak and fixxed it and for awhile it was good but now its back and worse I'm actually SMELLING gasoline! I don't know what to do. Last time the work was covered under warranty but I don't have the tools to go cutting into my hatch or lowering the rear and I don't want to spend $800 for a mechanic to tell me I need a new car...

After I paid the car off I intended on turning it into a project car, either motor swap or turbo... Maybe I should go with an after market pump? What can I do for this problem?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Smelling Gasoline + SES!!!

walboro 255, braided fuel lines?

Comment

Originally posted by mrhobbz View Post
      walboro 255, braided fuel lines?
      I know I might sound like a newb for this but just curious where can I find braided fuel lines and plus if I do a motor swap, will they still work for an LSX motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
        I know I might sound like a newb for this but just curious where can I find braided fuel lines and plus if I do a motor swap, will they still work for an LSX motor?
        Almost any auto parts store should have them and the fittings, and yeah you would be able to use them with the LSx swap as well as the pump.

Comment

Almost any auto parts store should have them and the fittings, and yeah you would be able to use them with the LSx swap as well as the pump.
          Will doing all this require me to drop the rear axel? Also how about the fuel line install, what will I need to move / do to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
            Will doing all this require me to drop the rear axel? Also how about the fuel line install, what will I need to move / do to do this?
            What year is it? The tank you **can** do without droping the tank/axle assembly/exhaust. The only way to do it without is by cutting an access door in the hatch and there are a couple of good tutorials on how to do so floating around. I wouldn't attempt it though if you're not comfortable doing so.

As far as fuel line installation I've never done it on a camaro so I don't know if there are any quirks too it or not as far as moving **** out of the way.

Comment

What year is it? The tank you **can** do without droping the tank/axle assembly/exhaust. The only way to do it without is by cutting an access door in the hatch and there are a couple of good tutorials on how to do so floating around. I wouldn't attempt it though if you're not comfortable doing so.

As far as fuel line installation I've never done it on a camaro so I don't know if there are any quirks too it or not as far as moving **** out of the way.
              It's a 2002. I'll probably have to drop the assembly. How hard is that and how do you remove the shocks / springs without killing yourself?

That or how much would a mechanic charge to replace our fuel pumps?
              Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

The shocks are easy to remove on the rear. Behind the back seat their is a small hole you remove the bolt. Then unbolt the bottom of the shock and it comes right out. Springs should just slide out also. That part is real easy.

Comment

You should invest in a Haynes Manual because even if people explain things, it'll be alot easier if you have the step-by-step in a book in front of you with illustrations. It's one of my most often used tools... and you can use it in conjunction with all the advice you get from here...
                  Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                  Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Btw, still looking for braided fuel lines. I haven't been successful yet.

Comment

When you fill the car with gas do you top up to the next even amount?

Say it stops at $28.42 do you go for $30.00?

You can damage your EVAP purge cannister that way and you will get a fuel smell.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X