I think my cat is clogged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my cat is clogged?

lately my car is being a pile and refuses to run well and after a little research I believe my cat is clogged. At idle it rattles like nobody's business. Also I have a great amount of trouble getting to highway speed and can not physically get my car over 4k rpms. If I take it slow and steady and shift at like 3k rpm getting on the highway I can get on at like 50mph. But yesterday I could not get to 70. I had it to the floor at 3k rpms and it stayed there it wouldn't go up at all. At the same time I noticed a burning smell to me it smelled like clutch but I kno mine is fine and what sounded like the sucking of a vacuum. I am also aware my EGR needs to be replaced. Im sorry for the mess but these are all of my thoughts in one big heap. Does this sound like the symptoms of clogged cat? Thanks in advance you guys have always been a big help!

Re: I think my cat is clogged?

were you throwing any codes? Try cleaning or replacing that egr first. Does sound like clogged cat tho. Good excuse to a get a hi-flow!

Comment

Get under the car and look :) If the cat looks fried, then it is. A severely clogged cat can also throw random misfire codes. Smack the cat a few times and listen for anything rattling inside.

Comment

lol Every once in a while the ses light will come on but last time i scanned it it was egr. I cleaned it but it didnt do the job. I wanna fix this asap I dont think its even safe to drive on the highway at such a low speed!

Comment

sorry fo the double post but I looked and everything is pretty rusted under there so its hard to tell but it looks bad lol. also i forgot to mention my mpg is like 10 but i think thats the egr's fault. But now that u mention it I recall getting a misfire code a while back ill have to scan it again tomorrow. Ill let you guys kno my findings.
          Thanks!

Comment

hahaha 10mpg.. its like your driving a hummer.
            Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
            1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
            1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
            2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

10 mpg isnt just your egr lol your cat is plugged and change it soon b4 you need o2's too

Comment

well you gotta replace the cat anyways if its clogged, so what i did was pry the case apart and jam a screw driver in there to break up the catalyst till i could get it replaced. try that and see if it works, if you wanna risk it. if its not your cat and that doesnt fix your problem, then youll still need to replace it.
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I had this same problem a few years ago. A piece of the ceramic substrate broke loose inside the cat and was restricting the flow. I couldn't get the car to tach past 2500 RPM and it rattled like crazy.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

http://www.gvperformance.com/store/i...d&productId=93

there you go :)

Comment

Well today I got under thre and smacked it and it rattled. It also has a huge dent in it lol. My dad put his hand behind the exhaust pipe while I reved it and said there was a lot of flow and said it prolloy wasn't the cat but I'm checking it anyway. Also after I revved it there was a small puddle of gas about a foot away from it. Thanks guys

Comment

Sometimes a clogged up cat won't throw any codes at all. By the way you described it I would say it is your cat. Your car would have so much back pressure that it won't build up speed at all and it won't up shift properly.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Time to run a straight pipe. LOL
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

the motor is still gunna push just as much air other wise it wouldent run at all. its about how hot that air gets.......

Comment

You can drill and tap a 1/8'' pipe fitting before and after the cat in the exhaust pipe. Install (1) brass fittings with barb in one hole and a 1/8'' plug in the other hole. Attach a hose and pressure gauge. Take a reading before and after the cat. If it's clogged you should see a noticable difference.
                              When your finished intall two plugs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X