Sound problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sound problem...

See, thats what i was thinking but whenever I hit the cat it sounds pretty solid, never hear anything real noticeably rattling around in there. This noise occurs also when im just cruising around especially if im in a low rpm in that gear and the car wont shift to the one below it or i just sometimes lightly tap on the gas it will do it. But when I put the pedal down to the floor, the noise isnt being made. So I'm assuming this noise is only when under torque and at low rpms and when it shifts over. So I dont know if low back pressure occurs even if just going down the road and not just when the car shifts over...

Comment

So here's the question. Can low backpressure occur when just cruising and pressing the gas on and off to maintain speed? Or is low backpressure just an occurance when the car is under a lot of torque and low rpm?

Comment

From what you've described I would say both. Alot of people with the 3.8 and mindor mods such as a catback or just a high flow performance muffler made for our car with no other exhaust mods experience this phenomenon. Smaller diameter tips (1.75-2.25) at 16-18 in. from the muffler I am almost 97 percent sure (without hearing it) will fix your problem. Good luck.

Comment

I say its an exhaust leak since it only does it under pressure. Try reving the car up while in park and see what it does if you havent done that already. Also it may be the bearings or whatever in the flowmaster muffler itself cuz Ive heard tell of them making rattling noises.
          01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
          AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
          www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
          www.vaperz.com
          PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

Alright, say it is low backpressure, i would have to take my tips off that are 3" in diameter and replace them along with the pipes. My dad recommended just putting a baffle or such in the tailpipe to reduce backpressure, not sure if that will work, but we will find out this weekend.

Wouldn't an exhaust leak be heard while you were just in park and you didnt have to do anthing. I know another person had a thread where he had an exhaust leak and you could hear a high squealing pitchy noise, mine is more of a rattle.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone :)

Comment

Originally posted by 00FlowCamaro
              Wouldn't an exhaust leak be heard while you were just in park and you didnt have to do anthing.
              not Always, its possible to have a small leak and not be able to hear it.
              cold starts will of course sound louder

I know another person had a thread where he had an exhaust leak and you could hear a high squealing pitchy noise, mine is more of a rattle.
              Not all exhaust leaks are high squealing / whistling
              I've never had a high squealing / whistling exhaust leak... but I've only had a few (which were all deeper tones)
              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

So you're saying this could be at all possible to be an exhaust leak and not a low back pressure type of deal?

Also today when i was going to school, I noticed that whenever i was in park or sometimes creeping up to a stop light pressing the gas...I could hear whenever i let the gas off a second or so later I would hear a rattle. What could that mean?

Comment

Alright so...During the very cold weather we had a couple weeks ago, I popped the hood open and had my sister start the engine while i was looking and listening since that is where me and my dad thought that noise was coming from. Turns out it was coming straight from the alternator. Also when I was under there the part of the belt that goes from the alternator to the other side of the engine (the longest part of the belt with no pullies inbetween) I noticed that the belt was throbbing like mad against the part of the engine that sticks out to go to the air intake, but that only seems to occur when its cold out. The sound coming from the alternator also only seemed to be made when it was really cold out. Any tips? My dad replaced my alternator when we first got the car a good 8 months ago.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X