Is this a crappy CAt converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a crappy CAt converter?

Ok well a while ago my old cataltytic converter started sounding like there were rocks in it and was really loud and ****ty sounding. So i went and got a new one thats a universal one that all u need to do it screw it in. I think the name was Maremont and it was around $130 from Kragen. Is this a half way decent cat that i shouldnt worry about? Or are these cat converters important enough to buy quality over kragen stuff? It did give my exhaust a nice lower growl though.

Re: Is this a crappy CAt converter?

I would hollow your current one out
    or buy a high flow cat
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

how hard is it to hollo the cat out? And what are the benefits of doing so? Because i dont really wanna spend the extra money..

Comment

I haven't heard about them, but i will assume that since it changed the exhaust sound to a deeper growl, it probably flows better than the stock one, so it should be fine. Worst case, it either restricts flow, or doesn't work as well, but cats aren't important unless you have emissions anyway, so brands shouldn't matter much.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by Kronic Budz
          Ok well a while ago my old cataltytic converter started sounding like there were rocks in it and was really loud and ****ty sounding. So i went and got a new one thats a universal one that all u need to do it screw it in. I think the name was Maremont and it was around $130 from Kragen. Is this a half way decent cat that i shouldnt worry about? Or are these cat converters important enough to buy quality over kragen stuff? It did give my exhaust a nice lower growl though.
          What is the material? Part number?
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I bought a universal cat and it makes that crappy sound like there are rocks in it. so I would'nt buy a universal one.

Comment

i bought a universal catco cat off of ebay, 3inch in/out for 60 bucks brand new, never had a problem with it

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                i bought a universal catco cat off of ebay, 3inch in/out for 60 bucks brand new, never had a problem with it

same here, but i went through summit. havent had it on long but problems yet.
                1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Just pull the cat off the car and look threw it... smash out all the honeycomb stuff and push it out the other end. then stick it back on. LOL

Unless you have to pass Driveclean or something like that where you live.
                  MSN: inynn666@hotmail.com<br />1996 Arctic white -3800-<br />Pacesetter Headers & Y-Pipe, CAI, LS1 Dual Exhaust, LS1 Driveshaft<br />*15.17 @ 95MPH*

Comment

i want to do that ^
                    but i cant do it in my dads shop because it illegal to modify or remove a cat that is not damaged :( and my dad can get fined for it

-Y87
                    Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

Make sure you get all the debris out or youll f-up your muffler.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                      '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
                      '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

thats why I love living out of the DEQ (emissions) county boundry... LOL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X