Do I have a bad cat converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a bad cat converter?

So, my car is a 2000 3.8L. It started having multiple random misfires and the SES light came on. Well, I figured it needed a tune up, so I had it done. I get the car back and it misfires again. This time it was a cylinder 5 misfire and the SES light was on again. I was worried when I was told by my mechanic that it could be a bad valve spring, but I highly doubted it. The car WILL NOT accelerate pass 3500rpm. It sounds horrible and the exhaust smells nasty. The car is also running a tad hotter than usual. Under hard acceleration, a loud banging noise occurs at high rpms(the noise is from the exhaust). The interior of the car is also hotter and smells weird. The problem is getting worse everyday. I figure it is a clogged cat, ecspecially after doing a search. However, I would like input. Do you guys think that is my problem?

Re: Do I have a bad cat converter?

usually if the exhaust smells like rotton eggs, the cat is bad. also by your description it sounds like its clogged. i would cut it off and take a looksy
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

replace it. Its bad
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

when my cat went out my car got REALLL sluggish and took forever to shift out of gear, i thought the trans was going out

Comment

Was driving along the highway, and could feel my car stutter every now and then. I also heard what seemed to be some minor backfiring, but am not really sure. I took it in to get it checked, and they did a tune up among other things. Car definately runs much better, (apperantly, my plugs were producing about 1/2 the spark they should have been). But I also get that rotten egg smell every now and then.

The before mentioned tune up etc. ran me $600, so not looking to spend a whole lot. Not encountering any problems at the moment, but I'm curious in case my cat does go bad later on since I've been getting that smell.

How easy is it to determine yourself if my cat is bad? I'd image cutting it off would need to be done, but then how easy is it to put it back on? How much does it usually cost to have it done at a shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Slvrcamaro00
            So, my car is a 2000 3.8L. It started having multiple random misfires and the SES light came on. Well, I figured it needed a tune up, so I had it done. I get the car back and it misfires again. This time it was a cylinder 5 misfire and the SES light was on again. I was worried when I was told by my mechanic that it could be a bad valve spring, but I highly doubted it. The car WILL NOT accelerate pass 3500rpm. It sounds horrible and the exhaust smells nasty. The car is also running a tad hotter than usual. Under hard acceleration, a loud banging noise occurs at high rpms(the noise is from the exhaust). The interior of the car is also hotter and smells weird. The problem is getting worse everyday. I figure it is a clogged cat, ecspecially after doing a search. However, I would like input. Do you guys think that is my problem?
            if you have missfire - its missfire , fuel doesnt burn thats why its smells bad , unburn fuel cause all that , pcm sees thats is bad and goes to the limp mode preventing itself from you killing the motor. thats why it wouldnt accelerate pass 3500. And yes , if you will drive like that your cat will die from unburned fuel. :twak: .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X