Tools for cleaning/taking apart EGR? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools for cleaning/taking apart EGR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for cleaning/taking apart EGR?

Which tools do i need to be able to take the EGR valve "system" apart? I have a 1994 3.4.

I want to spray some stuff in there and try and clean it all out, since i think it might be a victim to my bad gas mileage. Mabey some deep creep or carb cleaner or w/e.

Also, my tempurature gauge does not work at all on my dash, (just stays at 0) concluding that my Engine Coolant Sensor is bad. Will this cause my car to run rich? Becuase it is sending false data to the PCM saying that my engine is still cold? I called and asked the dealer this and he said thats not true, but im just asking again to make sure.

My car seems it has a hard time warming up and takes quite a long time. So if i replace this sensor near the TB, and regain life back from my temp gauge.

Could it have a chance of effecting my gas mileage and what not at all? BTW, my fans work normal and everything, but i actually have no way of knowing if my car is overheating or not!!
    Last edited by Kronic Budz; 08-13-2007, 02:42 PM.

Re: Tools for cleaning/taking apart EGR?

mine was 2 13mm bolts, and i just used atooth brush and some carb and choke cleaner to clean it out

im not sure what the sensor is attached to, but it could be true about the computer getting a bad reading, but it would probably throw a code. If it IS connected to the computer, then yes, your fuel mileage will be affected.

if your fans work normally, then i would assume that that is JUST for the gauge, and not connected to the cars computer.

how do you know your car takes a lone time to warm up if the sensor isnt working? Taking too long to warm up could mean the thermostat is stuck open

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro
      mine was 2 13mm bolts, and i just used atooth brush and some carb and choke cleaner to clean it out

im not sure what the sensor is attached to, but it could be true about the computer getting a bad reading, but it would probably throw a code. If it IS connected to the computer, then yes, your fuel mileage will be affected.

if your fans work normally, then i would assume that that is JUST for the gauge, and not connected to the cars computer.

how do you know your car takes a lone time to warm up if the sensor isnt working? Taking too long to warm up could mean the thermostat is stuck open

ok thanks for the response, but it looks like to me that on my egr (3.4) there are like 3 allen wrench looking bolts that need to come out. They look like stars.

And also, I have started my car with the hood up, and can feel my radiator cap to see how much warmer and hotter it gets untill its to hot to touch!! (its metal so it makes that easy to figure out how hot the coolant is.) But is usually takes a good 10 mintues of strait idling to be able to feel the warmth of the radiator cap. Dont no how good of a test that is to see how warm the engine is.....

also, i have a new 180* thermo in there so i no its not the thermostat. Im thinking that its about time for me to change the coils. I have read that if the ignition system isnt good, then the fuel/air mixture wont be burned properly, making my car run alittle rich. Does that sound about right? I have new plugs and wires, just stock coils i belive.

My car has 130k on it, and i have no clue to weather or not coils have been changed, they dont look to old, and can easily see the cylinder numbers still on them so im not sure, coils and kinda expensive ya know.

But i just cant really figure out the way u check them with the ohms reading or what not, i SUCK with electricity.

Thanks guys.

Comment

yeah, i wasnt sure about the EGR, yours is totally different than mine.

thats about normal for any car for the rad cap to get that hot.. the real way to tell is.. to have the gauge.

if your car was running rich, you would be having a SES light

Comment

ok so should i get letter "c" in the picture i have attached, and my gauge should read all normal? I located that little sensor and that thing is hella deep in there... not sure how to take it out or put a new one in..

along with this egr cleaning.
          I also am thinking my car desperately needs coils, if i havent done them yet, i sure bet the young kid before my didnt do them either. Do you think my bosche o2's could be crap? I just had those put in around 5 months ago, but i could have sworn my mileage gotten alittle better ever since i got those put in with my blown head gasket.

What is the most mileage someone has increased from changing coils? i dont think that mine were in the worst condition sincei have never gotten a ses light. And it hasnt seemed like my "timing" has been thaat off.

comments.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kronic Budz; 08-14-2007, 02:07 AM. Reason: IM HELLA HIGH AND FORGOT TO ADD THE PICTURE!!

Comment

if your coils/o2's were bad you would be getting a check engine light

usually with things like coils or sensors.. they are either bad, or good, there is no in between

Comment

o2 sensors die slowly there reaction speed slows there range narrows both costing you milage and power then they finally quit reacting thats when the computer will throw a code but at 5 months there fine. did you say you have a blown head gasket? if thats the case that will ruin an o2 quick and hurt your milage get the head gasket fixed first

Comment

Originally posted by auto666
                o2 sensors die slowly there reaction speed slows there range narrows both costing you milage and power then they finally quit reacting thats when the computer will throw a code but at 5 months there fine. did you say you have a blown head gasket? if thats the case that will ruin an o2 quick and hurt your milage get the head gasket fixed first
                Well i am thinking that not all things will give u an SES light, becuase i have had to replace so much stuff on my car, and I have NEVER EVER seen a SES on my dashboard, so how is that explained. Also, i had a blown head gasket around 6k miles ago, it was completely fixed with a valve job and compression check, as well as a whole new cooling system. Is there a way to check the resistance to make sure they are perfect coils, or somewhat ****ty ones.?

Comment

yeah go to the library and get the specs you can check for proper resistance

Comment

library? couldnt find it, can u be alittle more specific on where to go on home page.

Comment

i dont know if its on the forum here but most public librarys have mitchell on demand, and or all data you should be able to find it there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X