Clear All

• springs and shocks

how hard are they to replace

Re: springs and shocks

how good are you?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

theyy arent too hard. never done it on my f-body but i have on other cars, im sure its not too much different.

Comment

Well I can say now from experiance that at least the rear shocks are really easy to replace, just takes a little time and a bit of muscle if the bolts are rusted on. Can't say for the front, but I don't think they are that hard either.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

The front springs aren't hard tp remove...at all! It's just compressing the springs to remove the shocks underneath that is the hardest and most dangerous part.

My advice is; If you have no experience with coil springs under load, remove them from the car, then carry them into an auto shop and have them do the compressing for you. They can be removed from the car without any worries of the springs breaking loose since the springs & shocks are one whole unit.
          sigpic

Comment

i just recently replaced both front shocks & mounts. The book is very god to have, only i didn't have to pop the steering knuckle from the lower ball joint. My steps may have been a little differrent as I had lowering springs, but th eonly time I needed to use the strut compressor was swapping springs from the old shocks to the new ones. The hardest part was getting the new mounts through the upper ar assy & into their respective bolt holes in teh shock tower. May seem all greek to you now, but it's actually pretty easy. The first time I removed the drivers side & swaaped bad shock for good one, it took me about 4hrs NOT including putting in a new mount (i ordered those that night). When I got all the parts in & swapped everything, it took me about 4.5 hrs to do both sides properly, socks, springs, mounts. first time I had dealt w/4th gen suspension too.
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X