Having some electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having some electrical issues

95 Camaro 3400 V6, power windows, radio and power top have stopped working. Fuse and circuit breakers appear to be good. I have accessed the inside fuse box and there doesn't appear to be power to those terminals. Remaining fuse circuits seemed to be unaffected. There have been issues with grounding, but this car is still in very good shape, no rust anywhere, and grounds I have found appear to be solid. Any thoughts?

Tough one, maybe BCM , on the 3.8 and V8’s it’s located under the glove box. It’s the body control module.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Also does your inside lights come on and auto dim?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

About the only thing I haven't done is to go searching for the BCM on the 95 Camaro, someone suggested that on this model there isn't one. I did locate what I believe to be the RAP module slipped into a "pocket" below the steering wheel. It was also suggested that these are only available through junkyards. Currently this is removed, as I was going to try to splice the brown and dk blue wires, that didn't seem to solve anything. Right now, I have jumped a live/ hot connection in the fuse block to those 2 fuse terminals which go to the radio, and the power windows and power top. Upon doing this radio works, power window on passenger side does, power top works as well. Drivers side window will start pause, wait a minute or so, it works again, up or down doesn't seem to make any difference. This circuit has a 30 amp circuit breaker in it. So I believe the driver's side window motor is drawing too much current. I tried cleaning and relubricating the window rails, thinking 29 yr old grease/lubricant might be the problem, doesn't appear to help much. So drilled through the inner wall of the door to access the rivets holding the motor, without too much trouble, and am waiting on a new motor before proceeding. Now assuming the RAP module was the problem, bypassing it will cancel it's function, no big deal as long as I remember to manually turn off the radio. I can live with it that way.

Comment

Regarding the BCM, this is the 3.4L V6, so it may not have one. Inside lights, above the dask on the mirror assembly and the lights in the back seat seem to be functioning normally.

Comment

Yeah I tried searching for a bcm for a 3.4 couldn’t find one. I’ll look at my Haynes manual see what it says. I’ve had to rewire wiring on my 1996, radio was one. Also have a huge draw on mine, haven’t found it yet. Batteries only last maybe 10 minutes then their dead with a door open. Also with your interior lights working, that BCM wouldn’t be the problem.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 07-29-2024, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Yesterday, I went out to install the new power window motor on the driver's side. You may recall the previous one, seemed to trigger the circuit breaker. That went fairly well, right up until I attempted to use it. I hadn't installed the switch back into the side panel. I engaged, pushed the button for the driver's side window, and it began to rise, but slowly, the switch began smoking. So popped out the circuit breaker. So not sure what was going on would have thought the breaker would have tripped. So far I have removed the new motor, considered possibly the gear had misaligned with the window actuator?? causing resistance, in any case. The switch may be fried, and or the connection block. In any case new battery appears to have lost most of it's charge. Been on the charger all night. With the motor removed I could manually close the drivers side window, so I can keep the critters and weather out. I will leave it for a bit and try to come up with some kind of plan.

Comment

Good luck, I’ve never messed with power windows or locks, always have had manual ones.

Comment

Still chewing on the problem. I am going to try to take apart the connector to the switch to see if somehow, a couple of wires in it got dislodged and made contact. I have pulled that new power window motor out, and will try to determine if there is a problem with it, if not reinstall and put a mirror back in there to determine if there was some misalignment, binding the mechanism. This has been an extremely frustrating project.

Comment

That sucks, you could try a scrap yard and get a used switch. Probably $5. That would rule out the switch. Or eBay probably have one.

Comment

https://www.phoenixpowerwindowrepair.com/
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

On eBay they have new window switches for $15.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X