Stupid Questions on Launching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Questions on Launching...

Hey, I know that these are probably stupid and noobish questions, but if I don't ask then I'll never know. This is my first manual transmission car I've driven. I've had it for a few months now, and I like to think I'm pretty good at it lol, but I still suck at coming from a stop into first. What I usually end up doing is letting the clutch out really slow while giving it gas and then I start moving really slow until the clutch is all the way out, then I give it more gas so I can go faster. Is this right? Even when I do it as fast as I can, it seems like most autos leave a bit faster than me. Maybe I'm just used to the press and go of an auto? So, if anyone has any tips on how to better get into first in normal driving and also how to launch better (as in racing), it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Stupid Questions on Launching...

for racing, rev it up and let the clutch out, not to fast and not too slow. play around with different rpms until you find the one where you minimize spinning
    2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

Yea its all proportional... if u have too much gas and let it out too fast u'll spin tire(s). if u have too much gas and let it out slow u'll creep away from the light but have almost no chance of killing it and a lot of clutch wear. too little gas plus + too fast off the clutch = sputtering and/or stalling. too little gas + too slow off the clutch is okay but harder on the main bearings (pulls rpm's too low for powerband.) and u'll also creep away from the light. if u use those tips as feedback u'll know what u're doing wrong. I tried teaching the g/f how to drive stick and she hated me for it :naughty: but its a lot better than auto for racing IMO if u're good at it.
      _Dust

Comment

This is how i do it. Bring the revs to about 2K, let the clutch out to the friction point. When you want to start, dump the clutch from there and give her throttle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X