3800 SII Powered '71 Corolla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3800 SII Powered '71 Corolla

Figured I'd cross post this thread over here - I'm already updating it on 3 forums so I'll just post a link to it here, I'm sure some of you will enjoy the read / watching the progress.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Some points of interest for the F-body members, not sure if either of these have been done before, or at least posted about.
    1) Re-wired 96 Camaro harness for 98 PCM
    2) Using straight (ETC) upper intake with non-ETC TB

Bill
    Last edited by FuzzKill; 05-03-2008, 10:40 PM.

Re: 3800 SII Powered '71 Corolla

that thing is gonna be awesome....but wiring it all up will be a b****. Wish i could do something like this :rolleyes:

Comment

So, if we put a GTP TB on a straight intake and relocate the top bolt, we can have straight TB, drive by cable?!?
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Yes, but you will also need to

Rewire or replace your harness, if you are going to rewire you will need pigtails for MAF, IAC, and TPS

Reflash or replace your PCM

Replace your gas pedal/cable

Comment

One more note I forgot - you will need to swap the linkage off of a 96-98 Camaro TB, as the throttle pulls forward on the FWD TB's and backwards on the RWD TB's. I am 99% sure it will swap right over, just haven't done it yet on mine. Mounting points and everything look the same side by side so I don't see it being an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
            So, if we put a GTP TB on a straight intake and relocate the top bolt, we can have straight TB, drive by cable?!?
            No, the GP TB is NOT a bolt-on. The top TB bolt hole DOES NOT line up, and the PVC system air inlet DOES NOT line up either. That's just for starters.

I'm working on this mod myself.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. I said you would need to modify the top bolt. I'm not trying to mislead anyone here.

I hadn't noticed the PCV inlet, now that I have it sitting in front of me I see what you are talking about. Looks like I'll just run an external PCV, still not that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzKill View Post
                Thanks for pointing this out. I said you would need to modify the top bolt. I'm not trying to mislead anyone here.

I hadn't noticed the PCV inlet, now that I have it sitting in front of me I see what you are talking about. Looks like I'll just run an external PCV, still not that big of a deal.
                Yeah, the PVC inlet has been the biggest pain.

Since the top bolt doesn't line-up anyway, I thinking a 1/2" spacer with holes for both the UIM and TB, and a machined passageway on the TB side to connect the PVC TB port to the UIM port.

Raven

Comment

One more note I forgot - you will need to swap the linkage off of a 96-98 Camaro TB, as the throttle pulls forward on the FWD TB's and backwards on the RWD TB's. I am 99% sure it will swap right over, just haven't done it yet on mine. Mounting points and everything look the same side by side so I don't see it being an issue.

The F-body cable pulls UP, not BACK.

Also, the F-body cable bracket normally attaches to the top of the UIM, which is not present on the 99+ UIM.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                    Yeah, the PVC inlet has been the biggest pain.

Since the top bolt doesn't line-up anyway, I thinking a 1/2" spacer with holes for both the UIM and TB, and a machined passageway on the TB side to connect the PVC TB port to the UIM port.
                    If going through all this to have the throttle body not angled down, wouldn't it be easier just to make a wedged shaped spacer for the stock 98 down UIM? Or is there another advantage to the 99 up UIM?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      If going through all this to have the throttle body not angled down, wouldn't it be easier just to make a wedged shaped spacer for the stock 98 down UIM? Or is there another advantage to the 99 up UIM?
                      Spacing. A 95-98 UIM spacer would push the TB way out. Believe me, I've already looked at that.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                        Spacing. A 95-98 UIM spacer would push the TB way out. Believe me, I've already looked at that.
                        I guess that's a bigger deal if you don't have a 98 and have the Air cleaner directly in front of the TB. The 97 down have the Air cleaner off to the side and a pipe going to it.

Have you considered using a 98 up type Air cleaner/ lid. It should work with the Ram Air hood on a 97 Down car.

I was going to try that on my sons 96, but I would only hear from him if his car was broken. So I scraped the idea.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, and taking a closer look at the linkage it would not swap right over because there is a difference in the location of the idle set screw.

Quick fix for that is to use the GP throttle bracket and a longer throttle cable and have it come around the front of the TB. Then you don't need to worry about not having that extra piece mounted on the UIM.

Comment

I guess that's a bigger deal if you don't have a 98 and have the Air cleaner directly in front of the TB. The 97 down have the Air cleaner off to the side and a pipe going to it.
                            99+

Have you considered using a 98 up type Air cleaner/ lid. It should work with the Ram Air hood on a 97 Down car.
                            Will not work.

Raven

Comment

Yeah, and taking a closer look at the linkage it would not swap right over because there is a difference in the location of the idle set screw.

Quick fix for that is to use the GP throttle bracket and a longer throttle cable and have it come around the front of the TB. Then you don't need to worry about not having that extra piece mounted on the UIM.
                              Isn't this fun! LOL Some bolt-on!

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X