Jet Chips Gains vs Hypertech (Timing Advance Only - Not Counting Extra Features) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jet Chips Gains vs Hypertech (Timing Advance Only - Not Counting Extra Features)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Chips Gains vs Hypertech (Timing Advance Only - Not Counting Extra Features)

I am interested is getting a chip to speed my car up, but I'm wondering if its worth the extra 100 bucks for the Hypertech.

I have a Cold Air Intake and Whisper Lid, as well as a 2.75 inch catback going into a Dynomax Super Turbo, so all the intake and exhaust mods should be covered. Other than that, my car is pretty much stock.

I know that Hypertech has extra features, (like Top Speed Limiter Remover, Red Line adjuster, etc) but the only thing I am looking for is the timing advance to make my car faster.

I know these chips adjust shift points on automatics, but I have a manual, so again, that doesn't apply to me.

So when comparing the increase in speed due to the timing only, are these chips going to make a noticeable difference on my car? If so which chip is the better purchase considering I don't care about the extra features?
    2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

I have a 98 Camaro so hypertech doesn't make a programmer for my car. I have found that the stage II Jet Chip really worked wonders on my car. They recommend a hypertech 160 thermostat though. Only like $20 and it made the engine a lot cooler. According to Jet Chip they put a camaro with upgraded exhaust and intake on a dyno and adjusted the fuel map and timing curves so that HP was maxed at every RPM level. I don't know much about the Hypertech Programmer so I can't really comment much on that. I do love the Jet Chip though.
    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Jet Chip only adjusted the timing at WOT. True?
      <b>Cheers!</b><br />Scott<br />1994 Camaro 3.4L V6<br />Flows, Underdrive Pulley, and a 180 Thermo

Comment

To be honest, when I had the Jet Chip II, I could'nt tell a difference with the chip on or off. Hopefully when I get around to installing my HPP3 it will be worth the extra cash.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

I have a JET chip and I can tell the difference night and day. I think there was an article in a HOTROD mag about JET chip. They tested an IMPALA SS and dynoed without JET result was around 218 rwhp, then when they installed the JET it dynoed 230 rwhp.
          <i>00\' NBM Firebird~T-5<br />60\': <b>2.29 sec.</b><br />1/4: <b>14.7 @ 95.5 MPH<br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me.</b></i>

Comment

According to the Jet Chip website a 3.8L Camaro can expect a 15-17 rwhp increase if the exhaust and intake are upgraded. But who knows...companies lie all the time about sh*t like that.
            <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Yep, febuary 03 shows 212HP @ 5k and an increase to 230HP @ 5k after the chip. On paper it looks pretty good. For a 18 HP increase at the wheels I'd go for it if I had a 3.8
              David
              1995 Nissan Hardbody King cab XE, 5-speed, 4 banger<p>Looking for the right Camaro...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sac2165:
                To be honest, when I had the Jet Chip II, I could'nt tell a difference with the chip on or off. Hopefully when I get around to installing my HPP3 it will be worth the extra cash.<hr></blockquote>

Same here (with the JET, i didnt feel anything but my car stalling...)
                dave

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X