Modification Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modification Guide

Hey everyone, I'm kinda new around here, but I've been doing A LOT of reading up on F-Bodies. I mainly want a Camaro, but a Firebird will do as well. Im 16 now, and will be turning 17 soon, and I'm heart set on getting a Camaro. My parents already out-ruled a Z28, so 3.8 here I come. Im kind of dumb founded on this though, seeing as my father has a big block Vette, and had a Z28 as a teenager. But I'll be happy with what I get. So time to get to the point, I'm looking for some things to give my maro' some more punch. Im already thinking new airbox, lid, etc. And a good catback system. I dont know everything about cars, but Im not a ricer fanboy. I hate ricers just as much as the next die hard Chevy fan. I've read the mod guide, but I want to see what you guys like. I cant remember which forum 12secondV6 is at, its this one or either Cz28, but he is my idol. I want to take a V6 and make something awesome into, just like he has. lol
    Last edited by Question; 07-08-2006, 02:22 PM.

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
    1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
    1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

12secV6 is here. He is the Nitrous moderator. You can add a nitrous for around 600 bucks, but don't expect to have your car like his. If this is your daily driver, you want a car that is streetable. Besides air intake and an exhaust, look into headers, and some drivetrain mods.

Are you looking for an automatic or a manual? If you're looking at automatics, try to get one with the Y87 package. What years are you looking at buying? And the thing with making it faster is, how much money do you have?

Welcome to the board.
    2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

I know its going to take a lot of time and money, and I plan on buying a "beater" so to say once I start getting really serious. I was strongly looking into nitrous, and I still am, but I kind of want all time power. Im reading up on some blowers, but I might want a turbo. Im not quite sure yet. I want a 98 or up, and I want a manual. But If Im really looking to drag race, then I might go for a auto because of consistency purposes. And is the Y87 performance package available on manuals to? Also, I know this is a little off topic, but what are some distinguishable traits that set off a Y87 car from a non Y87 car?

Comment

The first thing you need is about 3 good years of seat time in one of these cars enjoying it before you do anything serious. Stick with a lid and filter and just enjoy what you have [img]smile.gif[/img] You'll be amazed what patience can teach you.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Oh and as far as Y87 goes, unless you want the stock dual exhaust (which is simply a dual outlet muffler, not more free flowing or bigger in pipe diameter), the only real reason to get one is for the stock positraction.

Also, try to get a 98+ so you get quad disc brakes... I prefer the 00-02 models with the e-throttle that is straight.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Oh... and Manuals are consistent if you know how to drive one [img]smile.gif[/img]
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Thanks Dominic, yea that is a main factor why I want the Y87 is the posi. And and I didnt know only the 98 and ups had four wheel discs. I assumes all fourth gens. do. Well, I guess not. Yea I dont want to take things to fast, but as soon as I turn 18 and am on my own insurance im getting a Z, so I want to make do with what I have, or in this case will have, but still be able to race it a bit.

Comment

Well if you are looking for a manual then there isn't much of a difference between non-Y87 and Y87, at least as much as the autos. If you look in the glovebox or door frame and find the factory sticker, look for "Y87".

Comment

Also, if you are going to be getting a Z in two years anyways, I wouldn't pour thousands into a supercharger or a turbo. Might as well save it for the Z.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, also what are some pretty common GOOD cams used in the 3800s? I want a lopey sounding cam, but I know I wont get the lope that my dads Vette does, although that would sure be awesome. I also want to get alot of tourqe from this cam, and some gain some top end performance. What is a good cam that is sort of a mix between all those?

And also guys, do any of you have AIM? I find it easier to discuss things and get a bit off topic.

Comment

And I plan to get a Z when I turn 18, but you know as well as I do things dont always go as planned. The only thing that will be stopping me aside from sickness in me or my family *knocks on wood* will be either the money factor, or a girlfriend.

Comment

women are evil when it comes to car time...if you get a girl you'll never get a free moment working on your car and not have to hear *****ing about it....Get a girl after you have an awesome 3.8 (makes it easy to get one at this point any how) or get one now and get her "house broken" for when you work on the Z.
                        Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

Originally posted by Question:
                          And also guys, do any of you have AIM?
                          Most of us have our screen names in our profiles, but you can hit me up on AIM anytime if you have a question. Screen name is Deaconeffect350. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I think its safe to say i have more money in my V6 then any ohter person on the board. Not couting what the car cost i have $25,000 in mods.. add the $9K for the car to that...... lol

www.turbov6camaro.com &lt;&lt; check out all my pages and emial/AIM me any time...... Viper04af is my AIM...

Good luck :D
                            I still need about 5-7K more to finsh the off.. **sigh** need to get back to IRAQ!!!! lol
                            www.turbov6camaro.com
                            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                              I think its safe to say i have more money in my V6 then any ohter person on the board. Not couting what the car cost i have $25,000 in mods.. add the $9K for the car to that...... lol

www.turbov6camaro.com &lt;&lt; check out all my pages and emial/AIM me any time...... Viper04af is my AIM...

Good luck :D
                              I still need about 5-7K more to finsh the off.. **sigh** need to get back to IRAQ!!!! lol
                              Jebus. What else are you planning on doing?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X