Big Decision, Please everyone reply who can help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Decision, Please everyone reply who can help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Decision, Please everyone reply who can help!

OK, Here's the deal. My cars 3.4L V6 finally bit the dust. Head gasket blew and don't want to pay $1000 to get an engine I don't want fixed. Today I committed to buy a 1996 Z28 with a body that has been through the ringer. Recked frontend (fixed now but not done well) and Rear right fender has been replaced after a parking lot collission (again not done well). The interior looks good besides a cracked dash.

Anyways now to the good stuff. The drive train is the standard LT1 with T56 manual 6 speed with 110k miles. It runs like a new car and drives smooth as silk. It had been sitting for 4 months and after hooking up a jump it started like an everyday driver. He was asking $3000 for it but I talked him down to $2800 (In my opinion, A STEAL).

My big question is very important. How hard would it be to transplant that 1996 LT1 V8 drive train (Engine,manual tranny, rear end, guage cluster, and all accessories) into my 1995 3.4L V6 4-speed automatic tranny.

My main concern is "IS IT POSSIBLE" without any major fabrication.

Like I said the body looks really, really bad. I want this to happen and I am willing to make it happen.

I am located in Warner Robins just south of Macon. I need all the help I can get an any advice that can be suggested.

Thanks in advance,
    Brandon Rieker

ITs vary possible...

and you would be doing it the easiest way having both cars side by side...

I heat its semi diffult and alot of work but doable.

I'd consider pulling the engine cradel and front suspension off the car, with the lt1 and 6-speed still on and transplant it over to the other car. Gets the whole suspensions motor and everything over there. Then swap over the rear and hook it up.
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Thanks,
      do you know anything about the factory security alarm not liking the older car. Also do you think routing the clutch and wireharnesses is going to be much of a headache to my car with its automatic setup.

And I absolutely agree that dropping the front suspension will absolutely be the easiest swap.

Thanks and hope to here from you and others again soon.

Comment

wouldnt be easier just to fix the body?

Comment

Originally posted by BiH:
          wouldnt be easier just to fix the body?
          Depends on the title the LT1 possesses...

Whats the title on the LT1?
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Well I was wondering How hard it would be to put the body of my car onto the Z. But that would honestly be the only way I would want to salvage this body.

Comment

rear fenders have to be cut out and new welded back in. not easy.
              \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

it would be very easy to just swap the body parts on except for the rear quarter (have to be welded and perfectly alighned) Truth be told I would swap the body parts and then pay a decient body shop to fix the rear quarted, a whole lot easier and less time consuming. To do an LT1 swap you have to change everything: engine, tranny, k-member, trans cross member, raditor, fans, fuel pump, computer, alot of the wiring, drive shaft, rear end and brakes, entire suspension, don't forget you will have to cut a new hole in your floor to accomodate the cluth and mount itand cut a larger hole in the trans tunnel for the shifter, then there are about a ton other little things. Even if you are familier with auto mechanics this will take at least a week working all day where swapping body panels is at the most a couple day ordeal.
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/594989\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/594989</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X