Slight power loss/Oil consumption with MaxLife. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slight power loss/Oil consumption with MaxLife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight power loss/Oil consumption with MaxLife.

I switched from Valvoline 5w-30 to Valvoline 5w-30 MaxLife and I immedatley noticed a very slight power loss. It's like the engine is staining. I'm at the 2500 mile mark and I justed checked the oil and it's 1/2 quart low! Last oil change it was between the 3/4/Full mark @ 3000mi's! How can this be? I'm thinking about going to Pennzoil 5w30. That oil service is on $20 vs $40.69 for MaxLife ;) . Ps oil pressure is down about 5 psi also.
    1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

I haven't noticed a power loss and I've been using Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 Since I bought this car last year. My oil consumption is also minimal.
    <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

Isn't that oil syntheic, or at least syntheic blend? That could account for the lower oil pressure, maybe.

Also, about the oil use. When the dipstick goes out of the "normal" range, that means you are 1 quart low. If you are not dipping into that range in 3000 miles, you are just fine. Its not uncommon for a car, in spec, to use up to a quart of oil per 3000 miles. You car is a 1993, so I'd be pretty happy. My Camaro, a 1997 with 62k on the clock, uses maybe 1/2 quart per 3000 miles, but thats with a decent rear main leak.
      1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

I've been using Royal Purple oil in my car for quite a while now, it's got almost 50k miles on it and I must say this stuff is amazing. I've gone OVER 6000 miles since my last oil change, and was going to do an oil change last weekend but when I check the oil, it's fine! It's not black at all, it looks pretty clean, like shockingly clean. I don't think I'm ever putting anything else except Royal Purple [img]smile.gif[/img] I should get some money for promoting them like this [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If the oil isn't dirty after 6000 mi then it's probably not doing a very good job, but I'm no expert.
          1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

Comment

I have been using Valvoline Max-life 5w-30 since the Camaro had 80,000 miles. It now has 113,000. No problems.
            I have also been using Max-life 10w-30 in the Subaru since 85,000 miles. It now has 130,000. No problems.

Since Max-life is not a synthetic or a blend, I can't think of any reason why you would be getting a power loss with just one oil change. Even if it was a synthetic there should be no power loss just because of an oil change.

As for oil consumption, it sounds like someone else changed the oil. Did you check the oil level after it came out of the garage? It is not uncommon for these oil change garages to under or over fill.
            Dr Todd

Comment

I've noticed my car has eaten 3 quarts of mile in 3000 miles, no leaks on the ground. I have Max-Life, but it was also eating oil with regular oil.
              1997 Camaro 30th Anniversary...M5, chrome 16\" 5-stars Goodyear 245/50R16<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/issycamaroman\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/issycamaroman</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                3 days ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X