Weird Temp problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Temp problem...

Ok i have an ongoing problem with my intake manifold gasket leaking OR my wayer pump OR both of them leaking antifreeze i have to add about a pint of h2O/antifreeze a week. I am going to pull the intake manifold and replace the water pump when i get a nice weekend. But last night i got in my car and it was probally about 50 degrees outside. I started driving and turned on my heat. My heat wasnt hot after about 2 miles when normally it wil heat up by then well i got on the interstate and noticed my temp gauge start to climb i was like WTF !?!? well it got up to a litle past 210 then went back down to aout 180 sat at 180 for a half a minute then shot back up past 210 then went back down and it did this allll the way home i watched it the entire way cause if it got past the mark after 210 i was gonna shut it down and call my dad to get him to bring the car trailer but it never went past the 220...... has anyone ever had this problem or have any idea what the problem could be???? My temp gauge usually sits right below the mark after 160, i have the factory thermostat ???? think i should change the thermo until i get a chance to change the water pump and intake manifold gasket ?!??! i am stumped and any help woiuld be GREATLEY appreciated !!!
    AIS 2 OHH the memories... Great times and putting names with faces.<p>From \"interesting\" hooters waitress(Did you guys FLY ? ) to pissing BMW owners off on the ride home. To ending up in Philidelphia and USING (hahaha) an ice machine. I had a BLAST.<p>Thanxs to all that showed up!!

Don't the fans kick in on at 210 and stop at 180? Not exactly sure, but your car shouldn't be that hot driving on the highway at ALL! My car runs at 170 or so in all conditions ( just replaced the water pump and MOST of the coolant [img]smile.gif[/img] ) You can check to see if its the water pump by looking at the weep hole or if it squeeks then the bearings are going out.

Edit: Wait that wouldnt make sense, even if the fans kicked in, it wouldnt be any more wind then created going 60+mph you'd think... *stumped*

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: raxxus ]</p>
    RedLineVSix <br />95 Patriot Red Trans Am, M6, 3.42\'s,no rear tires<br />(SOLD!)97 Silver Camaro 3.8 Liter A4 3.42 + LSD, 1pc DS, and one messed up speedo :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by raxxus:
      Don't the fans kick in on at 210 and stop at 180? Not exactly sure, but your car shouldn't be that hot driving on the highway at ALL! My car runs at 170 or so in all conditions ( just replaced the water pump and MOST of the coolant [img]smile.gif[/img] ) You can check to see if its the water pump by looking at the weep hole or if it squeeks then the bearings are going out.

Edit: Wait that wouldnt make sense, even if the fans kicked in, it wouldnt be any more wind then created going 60+mph you'd think... *stumped*

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: raxxus ]
      <hr></blockquote>

&lt;------- is
      too !! anyother thoughts !?!?!
      AIS 2 OHH the memories... Great times and putting names with faces.<p>From \"interesting\" hooters waitress(Did you guys FLY ? ) to pissing BMW owners off on the ride home. To ending up in Philidelphia and USING (hahaha) an ice machine. I had a BLAST.<p>Thanxs to all that showed up!!

Comment

sounds like your thermostat is sticking, i would replace that
        1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

You should also try bleeding the air out of your cooling system. On the 3.8l, there is a brass bleed screw on the thermostat housing. Let the car warm up to operating temperature. Loosen the screw slighlty until you hear air seep out or you see coolant spit out. Tighten the screw when you see coolant. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SCREW!!!
          You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

hey, my car did the same, it would just fly up to 210 and sometimes more, then just drop FAST, then go back up, then down, and so on. I took it to the dealer, they said i had air pockets in my coolant system, so they driained it and filled it back up ( cost me 95 bucks!!!), was ok for a few days, then it started doing it again! pissed me off, Took it back, and they said i blew my head gaskets and that it would cost be F**KIN $2,200 to get it fixed. They didn't even want to pay me back my 95 bucks from the first time! anyways, went to a different place and got the gaskets replaced.
            TAKE IT TO GET A PRESSURE TEST!!! if it looses pressure, you got a leak somewhere.

Hope everything goes OK, good luck!
            TT BABY!!<br />98 Firebird Y87<br />Headers, Cut Out, 80 series Flowmaster, 160 thermo, SLP Fan Switch, Taylor ignition wires, Yank Torq Conv 2800, B&M Tranny Cooler, Transgo Stage 3, SLP CAI, Whisper lid, SLP STB, DD KB SFC, Billet Adj PHR & LCA. More coming!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X