low voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low voltage

Ok, so i was going to work yesterday and my volt gauge was reading low and my check gauges light came on. normally, i'm seein around 14 volt, then i was seeing 10-12. I assumed that the alternator had just died on me, limped to work, let it sit all day, limped a mile to autozone where i pulled the battery and had them charge it so i could make it home (another 5-6 miles). With the fully charged battery in my car, the gauge did read slightly higher, but nto great. So i make it home to my garage and my spare alternator. This was taken off my other camaro and it functioned fine the last time i drove the car (a few months ago). finished the install, reconnected the battery and cranked it over. waited a few secs, gave it some gas, and low and behold, the volt gauge jumped back to normal and the check gauges light turned off. however, after like 5-10 secs, the gauge fell back to where it was with the old alternator and the check gauges light came back on. i kept the car on for another minute or so to see if it was just taking time to charge. the guage didnt move. now this mornign i had to get to work. car again started fine and i made it to work with the gauge where it has been the past 2 days. it did seem to drop a bit by the time i got to work. i was thinking that maybe the battery just isnt holding a charge anymore or something, but my car starts every time. anyone got any suggestions as to whats goign on? i absolutely need my car as i just moved to a new city and do not know another living soul that could even drive me to and from work or to get car parts... thanks for the help
    Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

try another battery and see what happens,if its the same then the other alternator is bad too

Comment

well the problem seems to have cleared itself up with the newer alternator installed... the alternator has been sittin for quite a while and suddenly after driving for about 10-15 miles, it started to work again... now i'm gettin better voltage than i had been getting..th ough the bearings are still making all sorts of whining due to sitting for so long. sounds like a freaking blower under the hood....
      Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X