Any way you could get the 4.8L to fit?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way you could get the 4.8L to fit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way you could get the 4.8L to fit??

I was reading through a magazine and came across the 4.8L V8 that chevy puts into the silverado. (275 HP @ 5200 and 285 @ 4000) This is a rear wheel drive engine too so I was kinda wondering if it would be possible to fit one in our cars. Just a thought. (And yes I know it's a truck engine, but how expensive are they usually?)
    C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

VERY EXPENSIVE! You are talking about a complete motor assembly with all sensors, computers and wiring harness'. You could easily sell your car and buy a Z28 for less money.

BUT, the new engine looks really cool. Lots of power! I must have one in my next work vehicle.

MIKE
    1997 Camaro A4, 3.8L Red T-Tops<br />Y87 pkg, 3.42 LSD<br />SLP cold air kit <br />180 Thermo<br />Alpine speakers

Comment

isn't it a 4.3L I6 and not a 4.8L V8 you're talking about.

(edit: I stand to be corrected. I'm thinking of a different motor out of another chevy SUV...someone care to enlighten me on the one I'm thinking of).

Either way here is some info on the 4.3 I-6. First off, it has the same specs as you posted above (which is why I think you meant this motor). Also for all you flowmaster fans [img]tongue.gif[/img] , this engine is one of the quietest motors I've ever seen. You can barely hear it running at idle. Also another problem is that it's an in-line configuration so it's really really really long.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: 99Camaro99 ]</p>

Comment

Why waste your time with a truck motor when you can get a LS1 with more power? Don't mean to kill a dream but why not dream bigger and faster? You can hit those numbers with a 3.8 V6 with less work than swapping in a truck engine.
        1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

the 4.8l is a ls1 derivative. the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0l engines are all based on the ls1 architechture. so if you were to put in the 4.8 going thru all that work when the 5.7 would fit in there just the same. also 99camaro99 the engine you are talking about is the 4.2l inline 6 275hp. 270tq. the 4.8 is rated at 275hp. 290 tq.
          96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rob231:
            also 99camaro99 the engine you are talking about is the 4.2l inline 6 275hp. 270tq. the 4.8 is rated at 275hp. 290 tq.<hr></blockquote>

thanks...I knew it was 4. somethin [img]tongue.gif[/img] and the specs looked similar. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X