changed coolant and went to a 160 thermo temp went to 215 ?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

changed coolant and went to a 160 thermo temp went to 215 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed coolant and went to a 160 thermo temp went to 215 ??

i just flushed my whole sys according to the sticky on here and refilled the rad to full, overflow to cold and put in a 160 hypertech. now my problem is my temp at idle went all the way to 215 deg. after i shut the car off i did notice that the rad tube to the thermo got hot. btw for the first few minutes of starting it i had the cap off. any suggestions of what i did wrong ?? thanx guys
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Re: changed coolant and went to a 160 thermo temp went to 215 ??

gotta bleed it LOL
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

ok will do. thought thats y u leave the cap off for a bit.
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

no you dont leave the radiator cap off to bleed it!!
        A cooling system is a very important part and can cause catastrauphic failure if not maintained properly (I know I found out the hard way).

To bleed the system there is the part that goes over the thermostat and holds it in. That is called the thermostat housing or waterneck. On the thermostat housing there is a bleeder valve, use a common screwdriver to open the bleeder valve while the engine is running/hot. Let all the air come out of it until only coolant comes out. Your thermostat wont open until its reached the thermo temp (160* or 180* or 195*) in your case you said 160*

You should also retune your computer for the 160* thermo
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yes thanks slow 6. i was going upon the guide here and it said some people run it without the cap on until the level goes down or something. after i got your first response i then tried the bleeder screw. took it on the hwy and it stayed at a nice 163 deg approx. thanx for the quick help
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

as 4 the pcm i believe they tuned the fans to come on earlier when i got their tune back in jan. (tsp)
            1997 Camaro LS1 RS
            1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

they can retune it to better suit your needs.

Make sure you bleed the system. But overall do not worry, the guage is really inaccurate mine will read like 200ish* but hptuners will be logging it at 160ish*
              1993 t-topped camaro to let the rays in.

Comment

Originally posted by Coconut Pete
                they can retune it to better suit your needs.

Make sure you bleed the system. But overall do not worry, the guage is really inaccurate mine will read like 200ish* but hptuners will be logging it at 160ish*
                Ya, I just put a new 215 thermo in mine (old one went bad), but my gauge almost always reads 180ish (between 160 and the 185 mark)......
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X