Question for those who know about Welding - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those who know about Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those who know about Welding

I just borrowed a Mig Welder from a co-worker. He bought it from a guy (new) a few weeks ago that told him he could weld steel up to 3/4" thick without a problem.
    I would like to know, I am going to be welding a piece of metal that is about 1/8" thick on my rear suspention. Is a Mig Welder good enough for the task? The kit has everything, including a Oxygen Tank and a hookup to 110v. I've used a different kinda welder before, but it had a grounding clamp, and the other HOT clamp had the actual welding stick that hooked up to 220v.
    Thank you for your help.

-Marc
    sigpic

Anyone??
    sigpic

Comment

The mig is fine.
      You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

ummm.... yeah it is fine, figure it out he said its good up to 3/4" thick and you need to weld 1/8" well 1/8 is a hell of alot less than 3/4"
        Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

Well, I finished welding it today around 4:00pm, and I have to say, "I welded the heck out of the piece". I even went so far as to weld another 1/8" piece of metal to help re-inforce the broken part. Hopefully, it'll hold. I'll keep this posted if it breaks.

-Marc
          sigpic

Comment

MIG as apposed to what? TIG right maybe if your welding aluminum abd you got $$$

but MIG is what all welding shops use and what most fabricators use for steel
            1997 WHITE 30TH ANNIVERSRY 3800 II M5

Comment

where i work we have to use the 120v mig, when the 240v is broke or out of gas, you would be amazed at what you can weld with just a 120volt mig , never seen anything break loose yet ..... i like to keep the amps pretty high exept on thin material....

Comment

I was actually impressed with the results (in strength). A bit ugly because I haven't welded anything for quite a few years, but out of sight, out of mind. I don't care how ugly the weld looks, I painted over it with primer anyway to keep it from rusting.

-Marc
                sigpic

Comment

What type material were you welding to and what type were you putting on? AH36 steel, etc...

What kind of wire did you use?
                  60/11, 70/18...

As long as you wrap the ends and you used the correct wire for the material you should be OK.

[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: r&ksport ]</p>
                  --Traded In--<br />1998 Navy Blue Metallic Camaro (RS)<br />3.8L V6 w/4L60E Auto<br />Sport Appearance Package<br />T-Tops - Loaded<br />_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _ <br /><br />--New--<br />2003 Victory Red S10 Xtreme w/Silver Stripes<br />2.2 L4 w/MW2 5 Speed Manual<br />LS Package

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by r&ksport:
                    What type material were you welding to and what type were you putting on? AH36 steel, etc...

What kind of wire did you use?
                    60/11, 70/18...

[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: r&ksport ]
                    <hr></blockquote>

Whoa!! I have no idea. I just welded the balls out of it, and it seems to be holding up just fine. The wire inside of the Mig was a copper looking type wire, and not that thick. I can only relate to the thickness of 20lb test fishing line.

-Marc
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X