when siting idel temp rises to 210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when siting idel temp rises to 210

It's maybe 45-50 degrees out so not terrably cold.

I feel like the temp moves more then ever now, a wile back it NEVER budged, then it started to move some when I was going up steep hills, now I feel like it's all over the place, going up hills it rises to the other side of the 1/4 check and flats it sits on the lower side of the check.

I let the car sit idel after coming home today for 5 min and it was at 210, luckely the fans came on, but it NEVER use to get to those temps, for as long back as I've had it, it would always sit right around the 1/4 mark unless it was extremely hot and I driving hard.

I felt both coolent lines and they felt like coolent was flowing through, I checked the level after shuting it off, and it was exactly where it should have been.

I dont think it's major, but it's bothering me now.
    ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Sounds like your thermostat was sticking open allowing coolant to flow through all of the time keeping the engine cool. Mine jumps that high at idle all the time (less in the winter). Basically, it sounds normal now.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

It's very common for your car to be at 210 degrees while sitting. You might not see it as much in 40 50ish degree weather. But it does happen. I think it's just the transition from winter to spring. 5 min is actually a pretty good amount of time and my car would heat up to that too. I think you shouldn't worry about it.

Comment

not sure the fan temps for the V6, but the LS1 does not kick them on until 220+ degrees.

With my AC on, the car always runs in the mid 190's, as the fans are on.

But when its cold, and i don't have the AC on, the car will run to 210 on the gauge (up to 228 on my scanner) before the fans kick on, and drop it back to 190's.

Im sure the V6's are very similarly setup

Ryan
        1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

Yeah V6s are the same way, my fans never came on until 220 then cooled it down to about 200.
          Now with the computer work and thermostat it goes up to about 190 and cools down to 185 if I just let it sit.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about..
          <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

It's not in danger of blowing up luckly, and the fans do there job.

I'm going to wate for some warmer weather before I look at it again, I might just buy a new thermostat if I think it's a problem then.

I just think it's wierd for the first 2 years it never budged above that 1/4 mark.

I drove a LT1 and it's gauge was noticeable higher then mine, maybe they are all a little different
            ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Comment

Mine usually hovers just a hair under 210 and it seems to run fine. Sounds like yours is becoming normal
              \"I\'m going to torment you beyond the end of time, and hit you with a steamroller!\"

Comment

have you changed your coolant? im changing the coolant in my 2000 because its warming up faster and running warmer than it used to.

Comment

Originally posted by LordoftheBling:
                  have you changed your coolant? im changing the coolant in my 2000 because its warming up faster and running warmer than it used to.
                  you drive it long enough to let it warm up? :eek: ;)

Comment

Mine used to go to 240 before the fans came on. Now with my ECM tune they came on @220. I have the stock stat and when cruising the temp stays around 170-175 when the outsize temp is below 70 degrees.
                    1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                      Good to see the site is back up
                      by 2.8 Bird
                      So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                      3 days ago
                    • FirebirdGT
                      New Site Hosting Issues
                      by FirebirdGT
                      All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                      2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X