Hard Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting issue

When ever I start my car it cranks a few seconds like it is trying to start but nothing happen. When I try the second time sometime the third it starts right up. This seems to be happening everytime I go to start it and it's pissing me off. Kinda Makes me feel like I have a piece of junk when people are around. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Re: Hard Starting issue

fuel & ignition. Done a tune up lately? try that if not, especially fuel filter. Might be worth it to get it scanned just in case there are some codes lurking that haven't appeared yet.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

to be honest, that seems to be normal on a lot of f-bodies... and other GM products. do you wait like 5-10 second with the key turned to 'on' position, or run... whatever it's called, to let the fuel pump prime the system? if not, try that. you can turn the key twice for 10 seconds at a time. thats what ive started doing at least, and it seems to have helped. other than that... it's probably just normal.

Comment

Then you've got a problem too. Mine goes like this. Put key in, turn to crank, 1-2 seconds at most later it's fired up. You shouldn't be waiting more than 5 on a stock non boosted motor. As I said get a tune up, if that's been done check your compression.
        Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

yeah my car just started doing this as well... it used to be a quick flip of the key and the engine would turn and cut on instantly... Lately though i have been getting this problem, my fuel filter is about a year old now, and same with my plugs/wires... When my car is on it idles fine and runs fine with no misses. Ive noticed mine really only does it when its cold. I already tried priming my fuel pump 3 times in a row and it really made no difference.. im thinking its the fuel pressure regulator.

Comment

My car starts great if it's cold. Also, if it's still hot from running, maybe within 15 mins, it starts up great. But anywhere from 15 mins to 2.5 hrs after shutting it off and it's semi-warm it takes forever. Upgraded all ignition components. Working on fuel this week which I think is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc
              Then you've got a problem too. Mine goes like this. Put key in, turn to crank, 1-2 seconds at most later it's fired up. You shouldn't be waiting more than 5 on a stock non boosted motor. As I said get a tune up, if that's been done check your compression.

my car has a full tune up, plus new coils. and everything else is just fine. i'm not saying you cant fix this problem, or thats it's not a problem. more or less it's just normal for these vehicles to do it. i let my car prime for 5 seconds before i start it and it fires right up. oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                My car starts great if it's cold. Also, if it's still hot from running, maybe within 15 mins, it starts up great. But anywhere from 15 mins to 2.5 hrs after shutting it off and it's semi-warm it takes forever. Upgraded all ignition components. Working on fuel this week which I think is the problem.

This is exactly what i have. he said it perfectly
                Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

probably a weak fuel pump or clogged filter. wouldn't hurt to check your regulator for a small leak.
                  2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Just changed the fuel filter and It seems a bit better initially, but after 15minutes it did it again. I guess i have to try something else, any suggestions?

Comment

I had the same problem forever and it was the fuel pressure regulator.
                      1999 Bright Red A4 3.8L V6 Camaro
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589653
                      http://www.myspace.com/jhonathanw

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonathan_W

Hey was it hard to change the regulator? Do you have any info on changing it or how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonathan_W
                          thanks, i'll give 'er a test tomorrow

Comment

I didn't do it thats when I took my car to the dealership to get it worked on.
                            1999 Bright Red A4 3.8L V6 Camaro
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589653
                            http://www.myspace.com/jhonathanw

Comment

Is the FPR the little tank shaped thingy on the rear right side ( drivers ) of the intake plenum? I have the same issue, ordered an FPR from Advance Auto and it doesn't look like the aforementioned component. It does have 2 nipples, one at a 90 degree angle and one straight out. The thingymabob that I'm looking at seems to have the fuel line (engine side) integrated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X