Terrible Gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Gas mileage

ok... here's my problem. I've had this car 6 months and I've always gotten ok gas mileage. Usually about 280 to 350 on a tank. And that's pretty standard city driving. Well the I started noticing about two fills up ago. I only got 250 on that tank. This one I got 12 miles a gallon. The spark plugs and coil were replaced the day I bought the car. K&N filter has only been in for about 4000 miles. Other than that... I'm not sure what else would cause such a great decrease in gas mileage... any ideas???

Thanks in advance!!
    Kyle

Re: Terrible Gas mileage

w/out the check engine light coming on its hard to tell. id make sure your air temp sensor on your air intake tube is still hooked up, make sure your tire press is good, run a bottle of fuel cleaner thru it, and make sure youve got a fresh fuel filter. Your o2 sensor can go bad, but it will usually throw a code.

Comment

My air temperate sensor has been relocated because I eliminated the air silencer. It hasn't been above 40 degrees in like 2 months and the sensor is where it should get cold air flow. Should I change the fuel filter before or after I run the fuel cleaner?

Comment

The O2 sensors can go bad and not cause a SES light. The O2's would be toward the top of the TRY list. Changre the fuel filter before you use injector cleaner.
        sigpic

Comment

o2's can get pricey. prolly shouldnt be one of the first things tried. IMO

change your fuel filter, run fuel system cleaner through her. have you pulled any of the plugs and inspected them?

k&n air filters may have a million mile warranty but they still get dirty, so clean that up and use the oil recharge stuff.

in my experiences o2's will make your car run really bad and youll notice, as well as 99% chance youll get SOME sort of ses light. OBDII cars are pretty good at letting you know about those types of problems.

Comment

Check the manufactures recommendation on how ofter your so posed to replace the O2's. I bet your over it.
            sigpic

Comment

Seafoam! Then standard tune up...
              sigpic
              98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

^^^^^ what he said!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse