back firing please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back firing please help

i just bought a 96 camaro con'vt with the 3.8 . it has a cold air intake and headers. it has been backfiring throught the exaust. could this be due to the cold air intake since i live in minnesota and it is winter? this is what i have been told. i'm leaning towards egr valve or injectors. thanks for any advice you can offer

Re: back firing please help

is there an ses light on?

Comment

Does it have an air pump? or an exhaust leak?
      sigpic

Comment

the ses light is on but if i give it a little gas while it is backfiring the ses light starts to blink for a few seconds and it seems to clear itself out.

Comment

there is a small exhaust leak due to the backfiring

Comment

Originally posted by thcredneck
            the ses light is on but if i give it a little gas while it is backfiring the ses light starts to blink for a few seconds and it seems to clear itself out.

The SES light flashing means there is a miss being detected. Have it scanned to find out what cylinder.
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like maybe one of the injectors is stuck open.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Get the wire and plugs changed,, if it conts. get the coils changed.

Comment

Originally posted by thcredneck View Post
                  I had the exact same problem. My #6 plug wire was melted completely.. I would look into MSD 8.5 wires and some spark plugs if I were you. Our cars are notorious for bad plugs and wires.

read this thread http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78028

:)
                  09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                  sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

changed the plugs and wires and it didn't seem to help much put two hundred miles and now its gotten so bad i can't take it to the gas station

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      The SES light flashing means there is a miss being detected. Have it scanned to find out what cylinder.
                      This would give some insight as to why it's missing. Instead of blindly spending money.
                      sigpic

Comment

check coil packs,,,get one and change it randomly to see if one has gone bad

Comment

i haven't put no money in it yet till the weather is better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X